Engine died but restarted after 5 mins - happened 3 times now!

Spoons
This post is 5757 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I have a YZF R6 2000 model, 12k.

I was riding on M25 in fast lane when the power suddenly died, almost as though someone had stopped the fuel getting through. I stopped and waited 5 mins and it started again. This happened again 20mins later. Rode it again 3 weeks later and the same thing happened. There was loads of fuel in it, and it still had a full battery so all the electrical power was there, just a lack of fuel sensation.

Can anyone help me please.

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I have a YZF R6 2000 model, 12k.

I was riding on M25 in fast lane when the power suddenly died, almost as though someone had stopped the fuel getting through. I stopped and waited 5 mins and it started again. This happened again 20mins later. Rode it again 3 weeks later and the same thing happened. There was loads of fuel in it, and it still had a full battery so all the electrical power was there, just a lack of fuel sensation.

Can anyone help me please.

Thanks in advance

This sounds like a throttle positioning sensor issue, its beginning to fail......Some yams are suffering with the same problems....Somewhere on here is a couple of topics relating to it. My XJ900s had the same issue when its TPS failed.

Other posts regarding TPS HERE>>>>

if that isnt the problem then its always worthwhile checking for a partially blocked fuel line or filter/ kinked pipe / anything that can slow down the delivery of fuel so that your engine is using it faster at high revs than it is delivered from the tank. this check will cost you nothing before buying sensors to try and eliminate faults .

on a previous company van i inherited from an ex employee with a chip on his shoulder,its like the old dirty trick of a piece of clingfilm in the tank when you can drive for days without a problem then suddenly the suction at the standpipe catches the clingfilm blocking the fuel and engine cuts out. wont start for 5 mins until the clingfilm has released from the suction. lots of new parts later then pow - wasnt expecting that

good luck , engine dying is dangerous especialy if there is no hard shoulder when on a motorway

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know, it turns out that the rubber bung in the petrol tank which helps vent the air, had come out of position and blocked the air hole causing a vacuum in the tank.

Re positioned it and all ok now. Nice having a cost free repair for a change!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online