Second-hand R1's

RobSamson
This post is 5788 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

My first post!

I'm currently riding a 2006 Fazer 600, thinking of moving to a 2000 R1 (need it to be old to afford the insurance!).

I was just wondering... does anyone have any buyer tips for these bikes (i.e. what to watch out for) or any advice? Are there any known faults/watchouts with this model? Are more recent models THAT much better??

The bike in question has 16k miles on the clock.

Many thanks for any help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

My first post!

I'm currently riding a 2006 Fazer 600, thinking of moving to a 2000 R1 (need it to be old to afford the insurance!).

I was just wondering... does anyone have any buyer tips for these bikes (i.e. what to watch out for) or any advice? Are there any known faults/watchouts with this model? Are more recent models THAT much better??

The bike in question has 16k miles on the clock.

Many thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome, I’ve had my 2000 for 5 years now, haven’t had any major problems, one new battery and one new clutch and just two days ago the throttle position sensor died, will be putting new one in tomorrow, the main issue with the 2000 models were the gearboxes, and especially the 2nd gear popping out, so before you buy it make sure you test ride it hard, put in 2nd gear at low rpm and then open her up right up to red line (look out for cops before you do that), also look for smooth gear change in all gears, another thing, and that goes for most bikes are the steering head bearing, they wheelie really easily and bearings can take a bit of a punishment, make sure it’s nice and tight at the front and that you can do a full lock both ways, without any tight spots. Other then that as long as the bike has been serviced regularly you should be fine, always take someone else with you, I know how exciting it is to be buying a bike/car and sometimes you can over look the obvious things, I got my bike with 10k on the clock and it now has 27k miles and runs as good as the day I got it.

Hope that helps and good luck. :thumb:

Ta very much - this was really helpful. Been out this weekend to see a couple and decided on one today. Didn't get to the redline on second - it's way too fast for me (bare in mind I'm coming from a fazer 600!). Anyway, the bike seems to be in good shape, just a couple of questions:

- Are there any replacement tail-lights or headlights that are worth looking at? I'd like brighter headlights if possible - wondering if you have any recommendations?

- Second - tough to explain - when slowing down at traffic lights, if I pull in the clutch to get to first and then release the clutch half-way (when nearly standstill) to move the bike forward a bit there a clicking sound. Any idea what this might be? Doesn't seem to happen from a standing start, just happens when releasing the clutch a bit with the bike already moving at approx 5 mph.

Any help appreciated,

Rob

Ta very much - this was really helpful. Been out this weekend to see a couple and decided on one today. Didn't get to the redline on second - it's way too fast for me (bare in mind I'm coming from a fazer 600!). Anyway, the bike seems to be in good shape, just a couple of questions:

- Are there any replacement tail-lights or headlights that are worth looking at? I'd like brighter headlights if possible - wondering if you have any recommendations?

- Second - tough to explain - when slowing down at traffic lights, if I pull in the clutch to get to first and then release the clutch half-way (when nearly standstill) to move the bike forward a bit there a clicking sound. Any idea what this might be? Doesn't seem to happen from a standing start, just happens when releasing the clutch a bit with the bike already moving at approx 5 mph.

Any help appreciated,

Rob

Glad I could help, regarding lights, you can get a replacement clear rear lights from e-bay, they look good and I believe they are brighter, for the front I got a set of Bosh Super Bright bulbs, they work great.

Abut the sound not too sure, may be the clutch needs a bit of adjustment or you may not be giving in enough gas. Sorry but I can’t think of any thing else. What colour did you get? Take it easy with it and take time to get well familiar with it especially on the wet days. :thumb:

OK, cheers - will check out the headlights first as they're not the brightest!

Colour - blue, looks great.

One other question (in addition to the clutch)... my trip resets every time I turn the engine off. Any idea why that might be?!

OK, cheers - will check out the headlights first as they're not the brightest!

Colour - blue, looks great.

One other question (in addition to the clutch)... my trip resets every time I turn the engine off. Any idea why that might be?!

Try checking for loose connections, at the back of the cluster, at the battery, does the bike start ok, some times a bad or nearly dead battery can do that, are the battery connectors clean and tight, if you know anybody with an R1 try asking if you can swap clusters to see if you have a faulty one or if it’s just something loose in the wiring, they’re easy to remove, I know someone with a 98 R1 who spent a LOT of time trying to fix it and it turned out to be a snapped wire somewhere in the main loom, but most of the time it's just something loose, try tracing the wires from the back of the cluster and making sure all connections are nice tight and clean, if you do unplug anything make sure the pins in the connectors are clean and straight, hope that helps.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online