Newbie beggin advice on Exhausts 650 Dragstar

sturdeebiker
This post is 5754 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good Day All,

I am a newbie to all this so let me intro myself. 50 something happily married woman living on South Coast. Kids all grown up and just achieved a lifetime dream by passing my test in May and now proud owner of 2007 650 Dragstar.

I wonder if anyone out there can advise me on replacement pipes to make her sound a bit louder, more as a safety precaution than anything else. Have tracked down some Vance & Hines Cruzers which appear okay but am not sure if this is the way to go. My technical knowledge on bikes could be written on the end of a matchstick! Hubbie does not "do" technical/mechanical. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good Day All,

I am a newbie to all this so let me intro myself. 50 something happily married woman living on South Coast. Kids all grown up and just achieved a lifetime dream by passing my test in May and now proud owner of 2007 650 Dragstar.

I wonder if anyone out there can advise me on replacement pipes to make her sound a bit louder, more as a safety precaution than anything else. Have tracked down some Vance & Hines Cruzers which appear okay but am not sure if this is the way to go. My technical knowledge on bikes could be written on the end of a matchstick! Hubbie does not "do" technical/mechanical. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much

The only thing with Vance & Hines and most other after market pipes for the XVS650 is that you need the stock front header pipe as they are NOT full systems - as i found out after ordering V & H, sending them back and then ordering Highway Hawk and sending them back too! If you have the stck front header peipe its not problem, butif like me you dont, then you're stuffed.

I eventually found a guy in Italy who supplied me with a full system for 250 Euros delivered - much cheaper than the £250 V & H partial and the £350 Highway Hawk partials!

Mine look like this:

newpipes.jpg

And sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_nR-yI1XMo

Thanks very much Goff. It's a dilemma, especially when you don't know much but I shall look up the Caligula pipes and see where it takes me.

Cheers.

The only thing with Vance & Hines and most other after market pipes for the XVS650 is that you need the stock front header pipe as they are NOT full systems - as i found out after ordering V & H, sending them back and then ordering Highway Hawk and sending them back too! If you have the stck front header peipe its not problem, butif like me you dont, then you're stuffed.

I eventually found a guy in Italy who supplied me with a full system for 250 Euros delivered - much cheaper than the £250 V & H partial and the £350 Highway Hawk partials!

Mine look like this:

newpipes.jpg

And sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_nR-yI1XMo

That is one hell of a pretty bike Goff, and it sounds oooohhhhhhhhhhh!!

Rob

That is one hell of a pretty bike Goff, and it sounds oooohhhhhhhhhhh!!

Rob

Awww thank you Rob. Ive just been and got some new risers to day to try and bring the pullback a little further forward as im just that littttttle bit too stretched....im hoping they look good!

I have to put the baffles in on loooooong journeys cos she's just too loud and i get noise fatigue and a bit of a headache lol, but for shorter ones they are fine. :D

Hey there, I have the Vance Hines cruzers on my 650 dragstar. They were very easy to put on, and only 220 quid including postage. I bought them from "Cruiser Ecosse" on ebay. The bike sounds fantastic now, and apparently doesnt "have" to be rejetted after fitting, although all bikes apparently should be just to get them to optimum standard. Good luck with choosing your pipes :)

Maybe I'm crazy ("Maybe?"), maybe I'm just seeing things, but is your Dragstar not virtually the same thing as the V-Star sold here in the States?

• 4 weeks later...

Sturdee.....If you want loud, I have the VH short shots on mine, took about 20 mins to install the slip on's. They have a nice rumble at idle, and will definitely get attention when you roll the throttle. I ride with a mix of bikes Harleys, Victory's, even a Big Dog in the bunch, and I hang with all of them when it comes to sound. FWIW...Definitely makes our bikes sound like the big boys!

Maybe I'm crazy ("Maybe?"), maybe I'm just seeing things, but is your Dragstar not virtually the same thing as the V-Star sold here in the States?

The V Star is the US version of the European Dragstar - yes they are the same - just a different name.

Well then, there's still a glimmer of hope for my sanity! I love that paint by the way. I have a friend that does that sort of paint for a living. He does anything from rifle stocks to boats and aircraft. He's even done toilet seats to be given out as door prizes at car shows!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online