Time for valve adjustment?

mrtn
This post is 5813 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

gentlemen,

my Bulldog has developed a sound like banging 2 thick metal knitting needles against each other. it used to be around below 1500 rpm when warm, now it's audible pretty much through the whole rpm range. no changes in drivability. it sounds like it's coming from the cylinders.

what are your experiences?

it's the same engine as in 1100 DragStar.

thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

gentlemen,

my Bulldog has developed a sound like banging 2 thick metal knitting needles against each other. it used to be around below 1500 rpm when warm, now it's audible pretty much through the whole rpm range. no changes in drivability. it sounds like it's coming from the cylinders.

what are your experiences?

it's the same engine as in 1100 DragStar.

thanks in advance.

Sounds like engine knock, what octane fuel are you running? If it isn't premium, try that. If the problem goes away, that's what it was.

Sounds like engine knock, what octane fuel are you running? If it isn't premium, try that. If the problem goes away, that's what it was.

no, it's not as dull as a pinging knock. i'm running regular unleaded.

It's worth the extra $0.50 or so to throw in some 93 octane just to see what happens I'd say.

damn, you're good. filled up with some premium last night and the noise is gone =)

damn, you're good. filled up with some premium last night and the noise is gone =)

Good to know that worked for you. Know you should check your owner's manual and see what the minimum octane fuel is suppose to be. It's also possible that if the minimum is 87 and you filled up with "87" it might have been lower. I've heard of a few stations getting in trouble for selling lower than advertised octane fuel these days.