R6 Passenger

Brian L
This post is 5813 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

New to this forum so first of all a big hello!!!

Just looking for some advice really. Passed my test a few weeks ago and am now enjoying myself on my new R6. I know that its probably not the best choice for a first bike but to be honest I dont intend to drive it like a man possessed so think I will be ok!!

My question is about carrying a passenger. Is it comfortable for both rider and passenger? Not looking to do long journeys - maybe about half an hour at a time. A friend of mine is pestering me for a go on the back of it (he is about 14 stone) so Im hoping it wont cause too many problems. Understand that I will have to take it nice and slow with a passenger which I am fine with - just want to make sure it is safe and doable!

Thanks in advance!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

New to this forum so first of all a big hello!!!

Just looking for some advice really. Passed my test a few weeks ago and am now enjoying myself on my new R6. I know that its probably not the best choice for a first bike but to be honest I dont intend to drive it like a man possessed so think I will be ok!!

My question is about carrying a passenger. Is it comfortable for both rider and passenger? Not looking to do long journeys - maybe about half an hour at a time. A friend of mine is pestering me for a go on the back of it (he is about 14 stone) so Im hoping it wont cause too many problems. Understand that I will have to take it nice and slow with a passenger which I am fine with - just want to make sure it is safe and doable!

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Brian,

The R6 is designed to carry a passenger so it will be OK. If you've never had a passenger before here are some pointers, from personal experience:

Before you get on the bike, talk to your friend, have they been on a bike before? If not they need to be aware of a couple of things. Firstly, how are they intending to hold on, grab handle behind them or holding onto you? First timer I would recommend holding onto you, put their arms around your waist grip one wrist with one hand and brace their other palm against the tank. This prevents their weight under braking being transferred to your arms.

Secondly, he needs to keep his body in line with yours, in particular around bends, when you lean, he leans. Seen passengers try and stay upright round bends which makes the bike harder to turn.

On the R6 the pillion will be sitting higher than you, which means an extra 14 stone (plus about a stone for leathers etc) which is going to make the R6 very top heavy. Be prepared and have your legs ready for pulling up and any low speed manouvres.

Also, with an extra 15 stone your braking area is going to be a lot longer, allow for it and look a lot further ahead to see any problems before they affect you.

Practice smooth gear changes, as you change up and down that 15 stone is going to be rocking back and forth due to inertia, personally I use clutchless changes on the way up and blip the throttle on the way down.

But lastly, enjoy. Take it easy and make sure he enjoys it too, if it's his first time.

Hope this helps

Hi Brian,

The R6 is designed to carry a passenger so it will be OK. If you've never had a passenger before here are some pointers, from personal experience:

Before you get on the bike, talk to your friend, have they been on a bike before? If not they need to be aware of a couple of things. Firstly, how are they intending to hold on, grab handle behind them or holding onto you? First timer I would recommend holding onto you, put their arms around your waist grip one wrist with one hand and brace their other palm against the tank. This prevents their weight under braking being transferred to your arms.

Secondly, he needs to keep his body in line with yours, in particular around bends, when you lean, he leans. Seen passengers try and stay upright round bends which makes the bike harder to turn.

On the R6 the pillion will be sitting higher than you, which means an extra 14 stone (plus about a stone for leathers etc) which is going to make the R6 very top heavy. Be prepared and have your legs ready for pulling up and any low speed manouvres.

Also, with an extra 15 stone your braking area is going to be a lot longer, allow for it and look a lot further ahead to see any problems before they affect you.

Practice smooth gear changes, as you change up and down that 15 stone is going to be rocking back and forth due to inertia, personally I use clutchless changes on the way up and blip the throttle on the way down.

But lastly, enjoy. Take it easy and make sure he enjoys it too, if it's his first time.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that - really detailed answer and really really helpful!!

In the UK, it is a requirement to have provision on your Insurance for carrying a pillion.

From your flag, it appears you are not in the UK, so check your local laws just in case.

In the UK, it is a requirement to have provision on your Insurance for carrying a pillion.

From your flag, it appears you are not in the UK, so check your local laws just in case.

Be really careful to begin with,if possible try to take an experienced pillion out 1st as it will help you get used to how it feels, 2 novices together (rider and pillion) can be a recipe for dissaster

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online