Fz 600

adihz
This post is 5765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I just bought my first bike an 88 fz600. I also got my license recently so i think this is a great starter bike.

I picked it up for cheap but a few things are not working and i don't have a manual so I would ask you guys to help me out.

1.) i gear up and it works fine but then when i gear into the first and stop the bike always goes into neutral no matter what i do or how many time i push down on it?

2.) All my lights work on the bike except the headlights but sometimes they come on then they die again, what could that be?

3.) I need to tune it up a bit to bring it back to life, what oil should i use? how much oil goes into this bike? What else can i change that will make the engine run smoother and better?

Thank you all

• 5 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can help with no.2 coz I had this prob after my FZ400 did the same.... had me spitting feathers. I ended up opening up the switch unit on the 'bars, and shorting across the wires (middle and right hand one for main beam) just to check they worked. Lights came on, so it was obviously the switch.... used a small scredriver to clean up the brass contact there the plastic slider sits..... no joy. Pushed the wires with said driver, and hey presto - switch worked. Been ok since, must have had a bit of a dry joint which it's long stand didn't help.......I presume anyways......

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I just bought my first bike an 88 fz600. I also got my license recently so i think this is a great starter bike.

I picked it up for cheap but a few things are not working and i don't have a manual so I would ask you guys to help me out.

1.) i gear up and it works fine but then when i gear into the first and stop the bike always goes into neutral no matter what i do or how many time i push down on it?

2.) All my lights work on the bike except the headlights but sometimes they come on then they die again, what could that be?

3.) I need to tune it up a bit to bring it back to life, what oil should i use? how much oil goes into this bike? What else can i change that will make the engine run smoother and better?

Thank you all

Hi All,

Thank you all

Hi, To question 1) Could be that the gear shaft to the side caseing has fured up, so take side caseing off, clean shaft, and clean hole in outer side caseing ,3) the oil you need is 10w30 ,capacity(without oil cooler) with filter change 2.5 liters,and ballance the carbs, all the best ralph,