Vance and Hines exhaust help

Goff
This post is 5721 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am about to invest in a new set of Vance and Hines pipes for the Dragstar.

Ive narrowed it down to the 2 (the only 2 lol) which are the Short Shots and the Cruzers.

Has anyone got any of these on their bike? Or do you know if one is better than the other?

I know that V & H pipes arent road legal in the UK, and i was also told that if the Cruszers are too loud you can't quieten them down, but you can with the short shots.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. :D

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi.

I am pondering doing exactly the same thing so will keep an eye on your responses and let you know any info I manage to find out. A local supplier tells me that the Cruzers look and sound great, do not need re-jetting if you dont change the air thingy (filter maybe?), and can be swapped in an hour or so, which is handy for MOT days! I am a new owner with a 2007 Classic 650 having only recently passed my test/bought the bike so any advice is great help in making the decision.

Will let you know if I find any more info.

Hi.

I am pondering doing exactly the same thing so will keep an eye on your responses and let you know any info I manage to find out. A local supplier tells me that the Cruzers look and sound great, do not need re-jetting if you dont change the air thingy (filter maybe?), and can be swapped in an hour or so, which is handy for MOT days! I am a new owner with a 2007 Classic 650 having only recently passed my test/bought the bike so any advice is great help in making the decision.

Will let you know if I find any more info.

See my other post replying to your other post lol

I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the V & H pipes - they do not tell you these are not a full system and that you need the front stock header pipe - something i did not have.

Its taken me weeks to sort this out and i now have some pipes on i got from Italy - they look and sound fabulous - theres pics and a video in your other thread. :D

Also - my Italian pipes do not have "not for road use" stamped on them either

See my other post replying to your other post lol

I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the V & H pipes - they do not tell you these are not a full system and that you need the front stock header pipe - something i did not have.

Its taken me weeks to sort this out and i now have some pipes on i got from Italy - they look and sound fabulous - theres pics and a video in your other thread. :D

Also - my Italian pipes do not have "not for road use" stamped on them either

I have had a fantastic experience with the vance hines exhausts ( cruzers). Mine dont have "not for road use" on them either, and sound fabulous. Very easy to fit, and easy instructions. You must not take all of your stock exhaust as you will need the header pipe to attach the VH ones to.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a fantastic experience with the vance hines exhausts ( cruzers). Mine dont have "not for road use" on them either, and sound fabulous. Very easy to fit, and easy instructions. You must not take all of your stock exhaust as you will need the header pipe to attach the VH ones to.

I am also looking for short cruzers V&H my only problem is which model to buy, my bike is 2007 650 dragstar but on US and V&H sites they say California models or others - can anyone help pls. and I trust I undertand correctly that you only get the latter part of the exhaust ? which is what I wish.

thanks

Joe

http://www.1066customcycles.co.uk/acatalog...V-Star_650.html

I think these may be the ones you need. I tracked them down but have not purchased as I was told they would invalidate my warranty. so will put up with the pipes that came on the bike for another 18 months! I rang the guy up and he said they def fit a 2007 Dragstar, classic or standard, and dont need any other bits and pieces or re-jetting.

Hope it's of help

http://www.1066customcycles.co.uk/acatalog...V-Star_650.html

I think these may be the ones you need. I tracked them down but have not purchased as I was told they would invalidate my warranty. so will put up with the pipes that came on the bike for another 18 months! I rang the guy up and he said they def fit a 2007 Dragstar, classic or standard, and dont need any other bits and pieces or re-jetting.

Hope it's of help

thanks mate, mine is still under warranty as I got it last November but the silence when riding with my mates is unbearable :)

thanks mate, mine is still under warranty as I got it last November but the silence when riding with my mates is unbearable :)

Got this reply direct from V&H when asked version for my model i.e. the EU XVS650A 2007 Classic

31505 VSTAR 650 04-08 (CA) 06-08 49 (ST) CRUZERS

--

Regards,

Scott Takata

Technical Support

Tel: 562.921.7461

Tel: 800.592.2529

Fax: 562.802.0110

[email protected]

http://www.vanceandhines.com

The majority of Dragstars are standard models NOT Californian models. This only applies if your bike has ben imported from the USA.

You can find out which yours is by giving the frame number to your local dealer. If it hasnt been imported from California its fine. Mine was from Puerto Rico lol

The V & H bloke is saying that the Cruzers you asked about will fit the 2004-2008 Californian model or the 2006-2008 49 state model

To be honest - the likelihood of it being a Californian model are slim.

But be aware you NEED the stock front header pipe - if you dont have it - they will not fit.

The majority of Dragstars are standard models NOT Californian models. This only applies if your bike has ben imported from the USA.

You can find out which yours is by giving the frame number to your local dealer. If it hasnt been imported from California its fine. Mine was from Puerto Rico lol

The V & H bloke is saying that the Cruzers you asked about will fit the 2004-2008 Californian model or the 2006-2008 49 state model

To be honest - the likelihood of it being a Californian model are slim.

But be aware you NEED the stock front header pipe - if you dont have it - they will not fit.

Goff,

it's definately not Californian I am sure local dealer would not import from the States, there is only one Yamaha dealer here and when i asked he told me it's a European model and is different than the V-star whatever the state. Are there any online sites that can trace model from frame number ?

P.S. my bike is six months old :) with 1500K on the clock hence I definately still have the front header pipe hehehe -so far

Goff,

it's definately not Californian I am sure local dealer would not import from the States, there is only one Yamaha dealer here and when i asked he told me it's a European model and is different than the V-star whatever the state. Are there any online sites that can trace model from frame number ?

P.S. my bike is six months old :) with 1500K on the clock hence I definately still have the front header pipe hehehe -so far

If its not Californian then its exactly the same as the rest.

The European Dragstars are the same as the US 49 state V Stars - i know because mine is a 49 state V star imported from Puerto Rico and the spec is no different to the European one. The only slight difference i have is that mine has a lower Bhp - and thats all.

If its definatelyt not Californian then 49 state parts will fit no bother.

I have bought LOADS of stuff for mine from over here in the UK and they all fit perfectly well.

The only difference in models is the Dragstar Custom and the Dragstar Classic - most parts for one wont fit the other

If its not Californian then its exactly the same as the rest.

The European Dragstars are the same as the US 49 state V Stars - i know because mine is a 49 state V star imported from Puerto Rico and the spec is no different to the European one. The only slight difference i have is that mine has a lower Bhp - and thats all.

I have bought LOADS of stuff for mine from over here in the UK and they all fit perfectly well.

The only difference in models is the Dragstar Custom and the Dragstar Classic - most parts for one wont fit the other

Great to know thanks, I also have bought loads of stuff from the US always for the V-star 650 classic and all did fit but never performace related thus why I am checking around. I beleive you are female ( lady) ? here we have a few lady bikers but all seen to be on sports bikes none on cruisers.

cheers

Joe

Great to know thanks, I also have bought loads of stuff from the US always for the V-star 650 classic and all did fit but never performace related thus why I am checking around. I beleive you are female ( lady) ? here we have a few lady bikers but all seen to be on sports bikes none on cruisers.

cheers

Joe

Yeah you do right, but the 49 state stuff will fit yours.

And yes i am a girly. I too used to ride sports bikes for many years - but i got bored with them after so long and decided it was time for a change, hence my cruiser :D

Yeah you do right, but the 49 state stuff will fit yours.

And yes i am a girly. I too used to ride sports bikes for many years - but i got bored with them after so long and decided it was time for a change, hence my cruiser :D

Well done take care and enjoy your rides

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Well done take care and enjoy your rides

Joe

Now I am in a real mess, V&H representatives are telling me I need the 31505 for my model and Cruzer Ecosse are telling me that they and Mag Ltd the European V&H importers recommend the 31501 for Europe, when I wrote back to V&H they said sorry can't help :( is there any one out there that has fitted either the 31505 or 31501 to the 2007 European Model whatever that might be, the cherry on the cake is my Yamaha dealer insisting that our model is different from the US models........at this rate I am going to gut my stock pipes.....

cheers

Joe

Now I am in a real mess, V&H representatives are telling me I need the 31505 for my model and Cruzer Ecosse are telling me that they and Mag Ltd the European V&H importers recommend the 31501 for Europe, when I wrote back to V&H they said sorry can't help :( is there any one out there that has fitted either the 31505 or 31501 to the 2007 European Model whatever that might be, the cherry on the cake is my Yamaha dealer insisting that our model is different from the US models........at this rate I am going to gut my stock pipes.....

cheers

Joe

Your Yamaha dealer needs to do his homework. The only difference in models is the 49 state and the Californians. Other than that there is NO difference. As i said previously - mine is a 49 state one and i have NEVER had any problems fitting european parts so he is talking through his arse. As him what exactly he thinks the differences are........

Why dont you just ask them if you can return the pipes if they dont fit before you buy them?

Your Yamaha dealer needs to do his homework. The only difference in models is the 49 state and the Californians. Other than that there is NO difference. As i said previously - mine is a 49 state one and i have NEVER had any problems fitting european parts so he is talking through his arse. As him what exactly he thinks the differences are........

Why dont you just ask them if you can return the pipes if they dont fit before you buy them?

Hi Goff, I got some feedback from Mag Ltd they are the sole importers for V&H into Europe, and they recommended the 31501 hence I bit the bullet, waiting for delivery but has to come from the US which is still about Stg75 cheaper than the UK although the post is nearly as much as the exhaust. Now I need an HC probably will go for the Kuryakyn....

will keep you posted once the pipes arrive

cheers

Joe

PS local dealer is Highway hawk agent so I can guess why the mis-information....... Mag ltd told me that the 31505 is the actual model but due to European emmissions bla bla.. they recommend the 31501.......

Ahhhh that makes sense then! I hope the pipes fit and that they are what you wanted. Please do let us know how you get along ok. :D

Ahhhh that makes sense then! I hope the pipes fit and that they are what you wanted. Please do let us know how you get along ok. :D

Will do but according to Cruisercustomizing shipping is in 3 weeks time then add a couple, that sounds sometime in October anyway at least my 1 year warranty will be about to expire hehehe

cheers

btw seems we are chatting on 2 different sections :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online