RUNNING IN

stevep
This post is 5908 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had the same advice from the dealer - keep her below 6000 rpm for the first 600 miles. When I checked my handbook it said avoid prolonged operation above 7000 rpm for the first 600 miles and then avoid prolonged operation above 8400 rpm from 600 to 1000 miles.

The advice I got from here was to keep the engine lightly loaded and use the rev range. I did have 9000+ rpm during an overtake once or twice in the first 600 miles but only for a few seconds at a time. I kept a close eye on oil and coolant levels but used none of either. I've just had my first (600) mile service and everything was fine. I think the thing to avoid at all costs is letting the engine struggle at low revs in high gears.

The other bit of advice I had was to take it easy on new tyres and scrub them in progressively and carefully.

HAVE JUST PICKED UP AN 07 PRE REGISTERED BIKE AND AM RUNNING IT IN. HAVE BEEN TOLD TO KEEP IT TO 6000 RPM BY DEALERS ALTHOUGH THE BOOK SAYS 8000 RPM FOR THE FIRST 600 MILES. ANY ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. I will err on the side of caution although it is tempting to open her up now and again.

HAVE JUST PICKED UP AN 07 PRE REGISTERED BIKE AND AM RUNNING IT IN. HAVE BEEN TOLD TO KEEP IT TO 6000 RPM BY DEALERS ALTHOUGH THE BOOK SAYS 8000 RPM FOR THE FIRST 600 MILES. ANY ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED.

i got a r6 and my dealer told me 4k for the 1st 600 mile but that was like 45mph ?? so im riding down the road on a spanky new sports bike and horses are overtaking me i mean WTF?>? so i rang around local yamaha dealers and several said its ok to go up to 10 k for the 1st 600 then slowly put more power on till 1000k than all go

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online