What's your R6 MPG?!?

eyedee
This post is 5696 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just wondering what mileage other R6 riders get to a tank?

My 07 R6 only gives me about 120 miles of fairly leisurely town riding before the petrol light comes on, and according to the Yamaha manual, it's only got about 15 or so miles in reserve. Seems odd, cos my last Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 with a bigger engine gave me at about 160 miles to a tank (which was no bigger than the R6's).

What year you on and what d'ya get?!? :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

god knows never tried. i can get 30 miles out of res tho.

I have to know as my journey to work is long with only one petrol station on the route, so I dont wanna run outta gas! ;) And yesterday, the petrol station was out of unleaded but the petrol light had been on for about 15 miles, so I filled up with Shell Optimax, or whatever it's called, which set me back £16! Great bike the R6, but it likes to drink!

you should be putting the nice stuff in anyway lol. 95 is ok but just not good enough for my baby. 130 miles to the res light i got this morning.

I try and only use the good stuff but I live in a little village and its a 40 minute round trip just to get to garage that has it! :angry:

By the time I get there and back I need to re fuel!! lol! :lol:

As much as I would love to keep goin there and back (some really nice roads!! ;) ) Its a little expensive and impracticable :blink: !

I had heard that putting anything more than 97ron in the tank can do damage to the bike - something to do with the fuel to air mix ratio sensor being thrown out causing wear damage to the engine. The UK bikes are setup for 95-97ron apparantly. But that's just what the local Yamaha dealer told me and they've proved themselves to be spanners on every other issue so far! ;)

gav2k, was 130 miles to the reserve tank on motorways or local roads? Cheers

I had heard that putting anything more than 97ron in the tank can do damage to the bike - something to do with the fuel to air mix ratio sensor being thrown out causing wear damage to the engine. The UK bikes are setup for 95-97ron apparantly. But that's just what the local Yamaha dealer told me and they've proved themselves to be spanners on every other issue so far! ;)

gav2k, was 130 miles to the reserve tank on motorways or local roads? Cheers

youve been told aload of tosh fella. the bike will run on 98 fine. the air to fuel mix dosnt change when you use different petrol. the higher the ron the less chance of pinking occuring. if your spanking the bike alot 98 is the way to go.

mixed. not riding like aloon tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running an FZ6 S2 - basically the same engine but detuned for a bit more mid range. Having just checked the handbook it recommends regular unleaded with a minimum RON of 91 - nothing about the maximum. I know that the higher state of tune of the R6 might require a slightly higher RON fuel but I would have thought 95 would be fine. As for mpg I'm getting 47 ish giving a range to reserve of about 200 miles - but again it is a differently tuned engine.

• 3 weeks later...

I get about 125 miles from a tankful and another 25 or so

on reserve.

I have never managed to ride my R6 without being

lulled into exploring it's high rev capacity though.

I am sure I could extract more miles from a tankful

if I was to ride under the 6000 rev range.

• 4 months later...

Mine uses much more than the 1.8 Focus I sold in April.

I gate about 120 miles from fill up to red light. I try to fill up asap then, but usually dont let it get to the red light anyway.

.......You'll get me on the straights but I'll pass you at every petrol station on the route!.......

Hmmmm, story of my life!, pass so many Petrol Stations I'm forgeting how to use the pumps

I get 300 miles out of my 660, but then it's not a R6 :icon_lol:

If you wish to increase your tank milage, just increase the octane rating of the fuel. The higher the octane (to a point) the easier the engine works and the less throttle action is required. This works on cars as well.

• 3 weeks later...

If you wish to increase your tank milage, just increase the octane rating of the fuel.

Very true, Optimax costs more but for the same quantity you get more miles! Wierd, but true!

Guest Exupnutta

You should run Super in Jap bikes anyway....

Japanese fuel has a higher ron content, so NORMAL unleaded over there is like our Super unleaded.

Other than that it depends how you ride it... and how tuned it is

My FZR 1000 RU needed fuel every 90-100 miles. It had K&N filter and jets, a Race can and a 1/4 turn throttle. :lol:

I know someone who had a GSXR1000. He got a MAXIMUM of 70 miles out of a tank :blink: Nutter :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a silly question but I'm not petrol expert :).

I've currently got 95 in the tank. If I put 98 next time, will the fact that the two mix a bit be problematic or does it not matter? Cheers.