XV750 -83 Front Brake

tjfredrik
This post is 6083 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The 1983 XV750 front brake is of the pivoting caliper type and it is not a very good design. At least on my bike this brake is very inefficient (dangerous quite frankly). The pads are in reasonbly good condition and the disc is a little worn but not too badly.

Does any one know if there is a simple fix or possibly a replacement brake (and fork) from some other bike that will fit without too much rework?

Grateful for any useful info!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you made sure the pivot is free, maybe worth taking it off and cleaning and lubricating it, Try a master cylinder from a more modern bike that may be cheaper and easier than replacing the whole lot, the brakes on the RD 250/400E,s were not brilliant in fact worse than the earlier RD,s when Writebike tuned and modded a 250 to attempt ot get 120 mph from it he fitted a modern master cylinder while retaining the old caliper and he said the braking was greatly improved,

merv

Looking at pictures of the XV750, it looks like it came as both single and twin disk on the front. I`m assuming yours is a single disk which would always struggle to stop that size of bike, so guess your best option is look on ebay for a twin disk setup of an xv750 and that should vastly improve stopping power, you would also need the front master cylinder to go with it as i think they will be different. If you already have twin disks then it sounds like they need a good service and better brake lines.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online