1987 XV535 (US import)

Yeoman
This post is 5970 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've had the bike for 8 years and it has always suffered from poor charging, was told the rectifier was shot each time so replaced it, each time, turns out it was the stator that was knackered. I replaced the stator and all was fine untill the rectifier did go and fried the battery. I replaced the rectifier, and the battery worked OK untill the weather got colder. Then the starter wouldn't turn when the battery was slightly discharged on cold damp days so I replaced the battery with a Varta one last Thursday. This morning bike wouldn't start, starter tried to turn but wouldn't, jump started it off wifes car. Once the bike is running the lights are bright and indicators flash ok. If the engine is reved the headlight gets a bit brighter. The rectifier gets hot and the battery shows slight discharge on my Optimate charger. The bike probably won't start when I try it lunchtime.

Has anyone had this problem or got any ideas.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If memory serves me right on the 535 the rectifier and regulator are behind the left hand footrest mount and corrosion is the enemy. you could try cleaning where it connects to the frame as it might be a bad earth, or even run a new earth and see if that improves it.

If memory serves me right on the 535 the rectifier and regulator are behind the left hand footrest mount and corrosion is the enemy. you could try cleaning where it connects to the frame as it might be a bad earth, or even run a new earth and see if that improves it.

Thanks for the reply, The rectifier is a replacement part that required an aluminium bracket to be made so that I could fit it to the frame below the rear footpeg (the original position was under the swinging arm pivot, and the exhaust system had tobe removed to get at it). The new part has massive cooling fins and has been earthed to the battery directly and fixed to the bracket using heatsink paste and bolts.

Hmmm all i could suggest now would be to follow the wires check for any damage, i know on my 89 xj600 the wires looked ok but quite a few of them had internal corrosion(copper turned black)and when i was cutting them back to splice new wires in on quite a few i had to go a long way in.

Hmmm all i could suggest now would be to follow the wires check for any damage, i know on my 89 xj600 the wires looked ok but quite a few of them had internal corrosion(copper turned black)and when i was cutting them back to splice new wires in on quite a few i had to go a long way in.

Thanks for your reply, the wires look OK and a resistance check shows as 0.00 ohms.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online