SR125 start problems please help

danc
This post is 5397 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a 95 sr125 and it bump starts but will not start on the button it tries to turn on the button but then sort of gives up i know the batterys not flat because all the lights still work. if anyone has any ideas what the problem maybe i would really appreciate it, cheers dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI, I wouldn`t rule out anything to start with. Get hold of a multimeter to check the voltage on the battery (they are only cheap + are great for diagnosing loads of problems). I had to bump my SR125 for a while & it was due to battery & regulator/rectifier knackered. Does the electric start sound like an old doorbell buzzer after a few attempts?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah that happens all the time would it help if i got a new battery

I`d get a cheap multimeter first & a decent trickle charger (for motorbikes not cars) - both will be useful forever, not just this job - so well worth the money!. Charge the battery & take a reading - about 12.7v fully charged should be correct. If the bike starts then we need to know if it holds a charge & that the reg/rec is working properly (there`s a simple test that can be done to test the rectifier - get a haynes manual).

This is where I`d start :)

i have a 95 sr125 and it bump starts but will not start on the button it tries to turn on the button but then sort of gives up i know the batterys not flat because all the lights still work. if anyone has any ideas what the problem maybe i would really appreciate it, cheers dan

When you say "gives up" you mean gets slower until it just stops turning? Unfortunately, working lights means enough power to work the lights and not necessarily enough power to turn the starter. Have you tried jump starting it with jump leads from another vehicle? (Be careful attaching the jump leads, there is not much space around the battery terminals.)

Heed the excellent suggestions of the SR125 bretheren who have already spoken. Your battery is flat; how old is it?

I jump start mine all the time at the moment, well in the mornings anyway. The battery is sick and the weather isn't helping; after I've run it to work, there is enough charge in the battery to get one start attempt. I carry my start'n'charge battery pack with me. I need a new battery!!!

Out of interest, is anyone else using an oversized battery? I believe the standard item is a 12N7, but I've been using a 12N9 for a while. (I borrowed it off another bike when the original battery died.) I bought a (cheap) 12N7 replacement, which barely lasted the year before it gave up. The old 12N9 went back in and has been giving excellent service until lately. (This 12N9 battery could well be 10 years old!)

• 3 months later...

I have a 95 SR125 too and I have the same problem. I bought a new battery and it didn't help. Just paid £150 for a service and Mot and still have the same problem.

Chap thinks it is the switch that is the problem, but so hard to find a replacement. If you hear anything else, please let me know as it is a real pain to get it going, especially when mine will not bump start.

Thanks

If you think its the switch try using a screwdriver to short the starter solenoid and see if its spins ok like that, if it does then you can start working back up to the switch to find the fault. Also you should be able to check the carbon brushes in the starter motor(you will need to strip it), if they are to short they will draw to much current and bike will never start. A work shop manual like Haynes should give minimum brush lengths, also check with main dealer for availability and cost but cant see it being much, ones for my XJ were only about £12.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem I had to bump start mine for a while then i checked the fuel pipe from the tank to the engine to make sure there was no blockages then I checked the spark plug and found when i tried to start it gave off a spark so i took the L shaped head off to find the connection had worn away so I trimmed the rubber back 1/4 inch so the copper wire was visable again and replaced the rubber bung.

Then I refilled my battery with deironised water and charged it for 24 hours then put my battery back in da bike it was a bit tempermental at first so held the choke out for about 40 secs den pressed start whilst holding choke as it starts to catch I used the slihgtest bit of revs and it kicked in its been fine since as long as i hold the choke out first it doesn't cut out even though it has been left outside in the rain at work .

to summarise check spark plug connection is ok, check there is no blockage in the fuel pipe, and finally make sure you have enough battery fluid and charge over night this should sort out.

I have a 95 SR125 too and I have the same problem. I bought a new battery and it didn't help. Just paid £150 for a service and Mot and still have the same problem.

Chap thinks it is the switch that is the problem, but so hard to find a replacement. If you hear anything else, please let me know as it is a real pain to get it going, especially when mine will not bump start.

Thanks

Ebay usually sells the switches i bought a few parts from there whilst trying to get my bike back on da road

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online