YBR125 headlight upgrade

john mccammon
This post is 4103 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently bought a new fuel-injected model and am quite pleased with its overall performance. Well, that was until we messed about with the clocks and I am now driving back in the dark. I can only describe the headlight performance as useless. It sports a 35/35 bulb and I am looking for advice on how to improve it. Can I simply put in a bigger wattage bulb? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have recently bought a new fuel-injected model and am quite pleased with its overall performance. Well, that was until we messed about with the clocks and I am now driving back in the dark. I can only describe the headlight performance as useless. It sports a 35/35 bulb and I am looking for advice on how to improve it. Can I simply put in a bigger wattage bulb? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look in the Yahoo Yamaha FJ site. They have a mod to improve the FJ lights as well. It means installing two relays and an inline fuse. I am not sure if the standard wiring will handle the current with a 55/60 headlight.

I have recently bought a new fuel-injected model and am quite pleased with its overall performance. Well, that was until we messed about with the clocks and I am now driving back in the dark. I can only describe the headlight performance as useless. It sports a 35/35 bulb and I am looking for advice on how to improve it.

Can I simply put in a bigger wattage bulb? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Simple answer no. Drawing more power will increase the amperage on the cables and the switch. This could cause a burnout. You would need to fit heavier cables and a heavier duty switch. Try to find a different type of bulb with the same rating as is now fitted.

Hey John,

Your post made me smile...

For what it's worth I don't think this issueis confined to the '07 injected YBRs.

I have a 56 plate YBR & live in a little village mostly unlit B-Roads.

Not long after getting my CBT I had the bright idea of taking a bit of a pootle at night

"to get in some experience of riding in the dark on the nice quiet roads".

Frankly, I might as well have had my eyes shut. Proper scary-bad headlight performance.

I got to the end of the road (about quarter of a mile) & turned straight round and came back.

My heart never left my mouth.

After putting the bike in the garage I went for a long lie down in a darkened room and waited for my heartbeat to return to normal before vowing "never again".

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk are a good site for car headlight bulbs, not sure if they do bike ones too.

If they do, buy with confidence, I've used them before & had great service.

Incidentally, by exchanging car headlight bulbs for offerings from a different manufacturer (same wattage) I've seen a noticeable improvement in brightness. No reason to think it won't be the same with bike bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for the valued imput.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everybody for the valued imput.

Hi there,

I know what you mean about the YBR headlights. I have the 2006 model and it's no better.

Motrax do a 35/35W lamp called "Scootervison" that's supposed to be an improvement. I've just ordered mine from here:

*http://www.motorcycleworldl-spa.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=280 (Sorry... you'll have to cut and paste the link... I couldn't get the code to behave)

I haven't received it yet, but it looks like it should do a better job than the standard bulb. I'll let you know how I get on.

H :o)

• 1 month later...

I just rode my 57 plate for 1st time at night on the little B roads in rural Warwickshire on my way home from work. I was a bit worried as I'd read these posts a few days ago. I found the dipped beam okay but when I changed to full found the road to my sides & rear were lit up beautifully but could see bugger all in front. I'm gonna have to use these roads a lot & think I'll just stick to dipped beam.

hi,

Was the bulb upgade any use YBR ?

I've seen some halogen upgrades from RING

that claim to give a better light as the standard

one is pretty poor on my 2006 model

Yeah I got these a little while ago and it makes a big difference to the standard round type bulbs... It's not like WOW! 100x better... but good enough for the money in my opinion.

• 7 months later...

Getting my ybr125 next week.

Surely it can't be that bad? I don't think it'll matter that much to me as most roads round here are pretty well lit, but knowing a solution is worthwhile shoult it turn out to be a problem...

So equal rated alternative bulb is one solution, higher spec bulb obviously more harm than good, but what about suplimentary lighting?

I mean the Vespa brigade have been adding extra lights onto thier... 'bikes' for donkeys years.

Would it not be fairly easy to splice a relay into the headlamp lead, and use that to drive a seperate, dedicated circuit direct off the battery to a, (or some), driving lights. Easily enough done on a car, so I assume a bike is not that different?

Anyone know anything about the legalities/practicallities of this?

Hi there,

In days gone past Cibe Z beams were a good aftermarket head lamp but I guess they don't do m/c lights any more but it might be worth the research (found a 5 & three quarter inch on the net for just less than £30) Have a look here

Regards Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an upgrade bulb which is on eBay.

Yamaha YBR bulb upgrade

I purchased one of these for my YBR and it was brighter and also more white in colour. But then the low beam filiment burnt out, closely followed by the high beam one, so I was left with no light at all for some time. I have swapped back to the stock bulb now!

Maggerz

• 1 month later...

Anyone considered extra lights ??

My TTR has a crap light, so I fitted a single spot and a fog, got them from Halfrauds, made a couple of brackets to fit them to the same mounting as the headlight, installed an auxilary circuit and bingo! I use the fog on a switch and the spot with the main beam.

Lights cost about £15 a pair (you need two pairs - even though I only used one out of each)

a few quid for cable & connectors,

LSUK wil charge £3 for a relay (if they are still trading)

You just need to work out a wiring diagram for the Aux circuit - if you are at all interested let me know I'll put one together and put it on the web

Anyone considered extra lights ??

My TTR has a crap light, so I fitted a single spot and a fog, got them from Halfrauds, made a couple of brackets to fit them to the same mounting as the headlight, installed an auxilary circuit and bingo! I use the fog on a switch and the spot with the main beam.

Lights cost about £15 a pair (you need two pairs - even though I only used one out of each)

a few quid for cable & connectors,

LSUK wil charge £3 for a relay (if they are still trading)

You just need to work out a wiring diagram for the Aux circuit - if you are at all interested let me know I'll put one together and put it on the web

Have a look here: http://www.clubybr.com/moto/bombillas.htm

I think that that's all you can do without fear...

And as for the case that you put a higher wattage bulb, the cables won't feel a thing. We are talking about +20W no big deal FOR THE CABLES. And surely nothing at all for the switch as there's no switch for the lights. The turn on by a rellay as soon as the engine runs.

All you have to fear about is the battery because it's been designed for specific consumption. The generator produces the wattage the factory designed . No more. And the light goes on all the time even during the daylight (bad for the battery, good for the regullator...).

• 1 year later...

I noticed this problem too, High beam was just useless, and worse than dipped - turns out my light was badly adjusted. A quick google gives lots of different methods, but do give it a go, its free and might solve your problems, helped me out.

• 8 months later...

There are several options to increase the "glowworms in a box"-headlight of your YBR 125.

The easiest, cheapest solution: Switch the bilux-as bulb to one with higher power. Like the Osram Bilux-AS Haloroad with 45/40 watts. But it still will be some kind of glowworm.

I took the old headlight of a Honda CX 400, added some cable and two solenoids, a fuse and there it is: H4 for the YBR 125 without any trouble of overpowering the tiny lines.

100907_13_t.jpg 100907_20_t.jpg 100907_23_t.jpg

It is a lot better with H4 compared to the original solution with the Bilux-AS bulb.

I have made a documentation of my conversion: H4 headlight with solenoids. Right now in german language. But using the tiny flag on the top of the site you will get the link to the google translator or maybe some day in the future the proper english translation (if someone got the time to help me translating it).

Greetings, Martin

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online