minor tune-ups

jrhendryx
This post is 6222 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i went out and did what minor tune-ups i figured i could try with my limited workspace and tools, which basically means adjusting drive chain tension (it was at about 2" of deflection, the book says .7" or 20mm)... i had to adjust the play in the rear break, but ive noticed that the bike seems much more responsive and a lot less jerky.... it also seems to be running at slightly lower rpm for speed (about 300rpm, not a big difference really).

this worried me at first though, because it seems like that would mean that the chain was too tight, but manufacturer's specs say just over .7" of deflection.....

the surprise wasnt a very good one.... i pulled off the top to the air cleaner, expecting to find a somewhat dirty paper element.... since after all, thats what the yamaha book says should be in there.

so you can imagine my surprise when i realized that someone had replaced it with some of that flexible yellow foam that they use to make seat cushions....... wtf.

the local yamaha shop couldnt help me locate a filter element for this one. does anyone know of an interchangeable filter?

also, my front sprocket has 17 teeth and the rear has 43..... if i was going to try to gear it taller by putting in a larger front sprocket (as yamahead had suggested) what would be larger? the total diameter of the sprocket, the number of teeth, or would both be larger? it looks to me like there is just barely enough room to clear the front sprocket as is, so it makes me wonder if i could actually do anything to gear it taller and make it run a bit better at higher speeds (above 50).

help!

thanks.

jeff.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Now is this for your XS500, try mikes xs www.mikesxs.net looks like he does xs650 bits maybe one of the the 650 filters is the same.

merv

just done a bit of research air cleaner part number 371-14451-02-00

now got too www.speedsupplies.com select yamaha from the oem parts list on the left

go too the quick entry screen as you have the part number,

type the number in exactly as above it comes up with the filter and price $26 roughly

but it does say to checkavalabilty if ordering pre 1990 parts as they may not actually have them

update just tried some part numbers the i know are obsolete they turn up so they may not have em after all

merv

i went out and did what minor tune-ups i figured i could try with my limited workspace and tools, which basically means adjusting drive chain tension (it was at about 2" of deflection, the book says .7" or 20mm)... i had to adjust the play in the rear break, but ive noticed that the bike seems much more responsive and a lot less jerky.... it also seems to be running at slightly lower rpm for speed (about 300rpm, not a big difference really).

this worried me at first though, because it seems like that would mean that the chain was too tight, but manufacturer's specs say just over .7" of deflection.....

While how tight the chain is will not affect the final drive ratio, make sure that you check the chain deflection with the proper suspension preloading (on my XS400G is says to make sure that the point where the chain has the least deflection in the suspension travel) as otherwise the chain could actually be too tight as the deflection spec is based on where the chain is tightest. According to the manual this requires two persons to adjust the chain, although I would guess with some creative use of heavy weights it may be doable by a single person.

While how tight the chain is will not affect the final drive ratio, make sure that you check the chain deflection with the proper suspension preloading (on my XS400G is says to make sure that the point where the chain has the least deflection in the suspension travel) as otherwise the chain could actually be too tight as the deflection spec is based on where the chain is tightest. According to the manual this requires two persons to adjust the chain, although I would guess with some creative use of heavy weights it may be doable by a single person.

the yamaha fsm says "if the chain has a total up and down deflectino of 20mm at the center with the rear wheel on the ground, the chain tension is correct"

i adjusted it with the wheel off the ground, on the center stand, and am now going to go re-adjust it to the proper specs with the wheel on the ground.

thanks.

oh, and i also think im going to put a smaller sprocket on the rear, since the 17 tooth front sprocket is as big as i can go.

the rear currently has a 43, and the next smallest one for this bike is a 37.... thats like going up to a 19 on the front, so its going to be quite a bit of a difference.

any thoughts on that?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online