RD250E OIL PUMP

URBANTIGER
This post is 6147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi

mate just off the phone who hasnt got a computer to post this..

he has like me an rd250e..it was running fine when he took the engine out to strip and rebuild it..

it was off the road past 3 monthes and when he rebuilt it he couldnt get the oil pump pipes primed,,the main oil feed pipe bleeds ok but no oil flows to the carbs no matter what he has tried..

he got the bike running ok using premix at 33/1 (is this a correct ratio?) and tried priming the pump by opening the oil pump fully while bike was idling..nothing..

when he revs the bike he notices the end of the oil pump shaft irregulary moves in an out..is this normal?..he has taken the pump off 3 times and refitted it and the gear inside the pupm he says turns ok..he kept the pump spaked in petrol to clean it for the 3 monthes it was off the road..

any help would be very much appreciated..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like the drive and driven gears may not be meshed correctly.

Is there a key that locates either of the gears? Could this have been missed off so a gear is spinning?

The shaft should move in and out regularly but this can be difficult to spot unless you have the pump stroke set to full.

Is there a key that locates either of the gears? Could this have been missed off so a gear is spinning?

The shaft should move in and out regularly but this can be difficult to spot unless you have the pump stroke set to full.

he says that the drive that comes out of side of engine once pump is removed can be pushed in an out...he also says that the pump seems to fit onto the engine and drve shaft ok but has now way of telling if the pump is turning once fitted..think it is the same pump as my own bike..has one visible wheel/cog inside pump once its removed from engine

he says that the drive that comes out of side of engine once pump is removed can be pushed in an out...he also says that the pump seems to fit onto the engine and drve shaft ok but has now way of telling if the pump is turning once fitted..think it is the same pump as my own bike..has one visible wheel/cog inside pump once its removed from engine

I don't think there's anything to stop the drive moving in and out except the pump being bolted on the outside.

i cant remember when i restored my own rd250 but think my own shaft when oil pump was off had a good inch of lateral play in it..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online