Battery wont keep a charge and...

FzR Runner
This post is 6149 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, I'm new to this forum as you can probably see, also I just bought a bike from a friend ( never had one ) which is a 93 FZR. For some odd reason the battery wont keep a charge. I can not start it up for a day...and when I goto start it...it'll be dead ( its a new battery ). I have to give it a jump

And also...to start the bike I have to set the idle high like 3500 - 4000 range. Then tune it down once its started..could someone possibly help me diagnose these 2 issues? I'll give answers in as much detail as I can. And even post pictures if needed

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like your regulator/rectifier is dead which is why your battery won't charge. Could just be bad connections in the plug or a corroded and broken wire but more likely it needs replacing. Could also be your alternator but reg/rec is easier and cheaper to check/replace to start with.

Are you using the choke to start the bike?

Have you got access to a voltage meter? If so put it across the terminals while the bike is running, should read about 14v-14.5v with bike running at 3,000rpm. Any lower than 14v and you probably have reg/rectifier fault as Martin says.

to start the bike I have to set the idle high like 3500 - 4000 range.

Is this by using the choke?

How are you charging the battery? If it's with a separate charger, try disconnecting the battery from the bike before charging it. Then leave it off for a day and see if it still has the charge. If it does, then there's something on the bike draining it.

Is there an alarm fitted?

How are you charging the battery? If it's with a separate charger, try disconnecting the battery from the bike before charging it. Then leave it off for a day and see if it still has the charge. If it does, then there's something on the bike draining it.

Is there an alarm fitted?

No, I ended up having to get the battery FULLY recharged, I used a stock charger from auto zone made for the battery. Seems that is all it needed was to be fully recharged. Now my other question is about the idle, it seems to cut off when the idle is set below 2000 rpm, if I let it run for a while below 2000 then it eventually shuts off. I can restart it, but it just shuts off like its not getting enough fuel or something....dunno. It's strange I have to set it higher than 2000 to keep it started then gradually go down to 1600 before riding it

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online