CDI/TCI on SR125?

FairynufF
This post is 6151 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:blink:

Hi you (hopefully very helpful) Yamaha owners!

I'm brand new to the forum, and already I have a question. Please bear with me, not only am I technologically challenged, I don't know my carb from my spark plug (but at least I know I only have one of them on my 125)

So here's the thing:

I've got a lovely little 1996 SR125, goes well most of the time, but she stalls at the most unexpected moments, mainly when I am stopped at traffic lights or braking to a roundabout (most disconcerting!) She also seems to lose power on the dual carriageway, then suddenly sparks up as if someone's put a rocket up her!

So I've looked online and have established that other SR125s have had the same problem and its to do with the CDI thingy. No worries, but when I looked in the manual it says I've got a T.C.I. (digital) ignition system and a CDI magneto (I'm an X Man?) charging system so now I don't know whether I'm supposed to replace the CDI, the TCI or what!

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks in advance,

Angela

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:blink:

Hi you (hopefully very helpful) Yamaha owners!

I'm brand new to the forum, and already I have a question. Please bear with me, not only am I technologically challenged, I don't know my carb from my spark plug (but at least I know I only have one of them on my 125)

So here's the thing:

I've got a lovely little 1996 SR125, goes well most of the time, but she stalls at the most unexpected moments, mainly when I am stopped at traffic lights or braking to a roundabout (most disconcerting!) She also seems to lose power on the dual carriageway, then suddenly sparks up as if someone's put a rocket up her!

So I've looked online and have established that other SR125s have had the same problem and its to do with the CDI thingy. No worries, but when I looked in the manual it says I've got a T.C.I. (digital) ignition system and a CDI magneto (I'm an X Man?) charging system so now I don't know whether I'm supposed to replace the CDI, the TCI or what!

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks in advance,

Angela

Hi there, as I recall the magneto will produce power to charge the capacitive discharge unit (if that's what you've got). The ignition module may be suffering thermal breakdown due to overheating (ok when cool, fails when hot). If you could check this against one that you know is working?

Kind regards,

Chris Heath

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online