still having problems with xj400z

cjh
This post is 6236 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello do any members now if a yamaha xj400z import has a cut of switch in the engine if the oil is low as i am stillnot getting a spark or neutral light or even red ignition light the only thing i am getting is the red light with oil on it but all other electrics are working fine lights starter motor ect just no spark or ignition and neautral lights so could anyone please help as i have already had one member reply and there knowledge was very helpfull and as this is my first yamaha i havent realy got a clue any help would be very appreciated thanks.corey

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello do any members now if a yamaha xj400z import has a cut of switch in the engine if the oil is low as i am stillnot getting a spark or neutral light or even red ignition light the only thing i am getting is the red light with oil on it but all other electrics are working fine lights starter motor ect just no spark or ignition and neautral lights so could anyone please help as i have already had one member reply and there knowledge was very helpfull and as this is my first yamaha i havent realy got a clue any help would be very appreciated thanks.corey

O.K, Here's what I do know. Because, I just completely rewired my wire harness on my

1100 xs .While Doing that I found many wires that was cut & spliced because,of carb fires.

When I rewired the harness I had extra wires left that I didn't know were they went.

So, when I went too plug all the plugs in I had these wires left

I had 2 solid browns , black & red striped wires , Orenge & yellow striped wire ,

1 solid Baby Blue .

When I would turn on the Ignition.I had nothing no lights on dash no horn no turns,no brake

lights I had nothing...

Now, when I wired the Orenge & yellow to the fuse box my horn,turns,brake lights,Igntion light

all powered on.

Now what,I had left to power up was oil light and neutral light .

I wired the black & red wire to the oil sending unit that power on my Oil light.

When I wired the baby blue wire up that powered my neutral light.

So, Make a long story short.Someone rewired some wires on my bike and when they did!

For a example-

When the Baby blue wire Smoked .Instead of replacing that wire with the same color,

they used any color wire they had.That throws everything off,When people do that.

So, to help you out I know that all the brown wires are hot(go to the fuse box).If you look at the wires going to the fuse box there all brown but one.

Orenge and red wire is the main hot(goes to the fuse box)

Black and Red wire is your Oil light

If your neutral light isn't working then its either (1)(blue wire is disconnected somewhere) or(2)(Neutral switch is bad)

(3)(One of your brown wires are disconnected some where.Test all brown wires to see if they are hot)(4)(Ignition switch is bad) .......

Note: Yamaha is the first that installed a wipe out shut down switch that is located under the fuel tank mounted to the frame if you would shake that switch it sounds like a ball inside . It also, has a 2 prong plug going to it with 1 black wire and 1 white wire.(to test that switch just unplug it.

One more thing to help you out.

All kill switch wires are (Red with a Black stripe)coming from your (off and run) switch on Throudle side handle bar.

(theres a Black w/White stripe wire also, coming from the same place,Thats your fire wire witch tell your coils yes where hot now lets go....................

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online