just bought my 2000 V-star 1100 it started fine....then...

yogy
This post is 6221 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just bought my 2000 v-star , the owner deliverd it to my house that day , ran it a couple of times. walked away

wife came home, so she wanted to here it run. Hit the switch and sputtered turned over couple more times then it started...but when i gave it throttle she died instantly, did this couple more times and she did same thing. Went out later that night tried to start it up turned a couple of times then backfired once. that was enough. Talked to previous owner

and had asked if he winterized it he said no...Is this my problem, if so can I fix this. I'm sure it is gunk in carburator

please tell me if this is possible or is this the cure... Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This may be obvious but you did make sure the fuel shut off was open right? - Sounds just like what happen with mine the frist time I got on it. Cars don;t have then so it's easy to forget if it's your first bike.

I had the same problem last spring even though I treated the gas with "Stabil". Dealer told me V Stars gunk up very easily. I don't have the invoice handy, but I know the repair was in the $300 range. This winter I used "StarTron" fuel stabilizer, purchased at a local boating store, and had no problems this spring.

Just bought my 2000 v-star , the owner deliverd it to my house that day , ran it a couple of times. walked away

wife came home, so she wanted to here it run. Hit the switch and sputtered turned over couple more times then it started...but when i gave it throttle she died instantly, did this couple more times and she did same thing. Went out later that night tried to start it up turned a couple of times then backfired once. that was enough. Talked to previous owner

and had asked if he winterized it he said no...Is this my problem, if so can I fix this. I'm sure it is gunk in carburator

please tell me if this is possible or is this the cure... Thanks

Sounds like Carbs need cleaned or Who ever preped the bike for ya, turned the jets wrong,because the first thing mostly everyone does when they have problems either with idle or bog is.They adjust the idle screw for a higher idle so it will stay running.then when they shut it down an restart ,it don't start or they have to give it a little throdle to start.

Because, there's a high idle and a low idle and air screws if you miss with the low idle then you have miss with the high idle then adjust the air.Thats why the carbs are set factory.What ever you do! don't try to adjust any screws they are set at the factory.don't let people tell you to give this and that screw a 1 1/4 turn here and there because, it's not....

What I would do is Pull the carbs clean the bowls & filters throw them back on,then clean the tank filters shut off . then change the plugs(check gaps on plugs)Last change the oil oil is no.#1. It's very well possible you have gas in your oil sence you sound like your having carb problems.(Sounds like its not getting anough fuel caused buy crap in one of the neddle valve's)

Hope this helps later Dan

Hey, I got a 1100 xs was wonding if you have a black box under your set with 2 plugins one large an 1 small plugs

saids Ignition Unit on the box?

because,i need to know if the small 4 prong plug coming from that box is going to your distributor which is near your gear shifter (has a round cover plate).

In other words Can you tell me where the 4 prong plug thats plugged in to your Ignition Unit Box is going too?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest speakerman

I recently bought an 04 v-star 1100 siverado Seems like it was running fine. added VH slip ons for a nice sound and then added aKuryakyn hypercharger and jet kit. Follwed instructions. and bike has more pep, but it bacfires when throttling down and the flaps on the intake don't seem to move at all(They will move manualy but I have seen them move on other bikes when the moter is reved up). Anyone out there have any experiences w/this stuff?