XJ600 Starting probs

Rit
This post is 6010 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Need a little advise guys. First day out this year on my XJ600 blowing the cobwebs off. Ran fine, great fun

Stopped a couple of times, went to a shop, see a mate. The last time starting it to come home and the starter motor seemed to be just whizzing round not engaged with the engine so I had to bump it (not done that with a bike for 27 years) and rode home fine.

The manuals I have suggest in the troubleshooting that its possibly the starter clutch. When I hit the button the tacho rises if thats any help but still does not turn over the engine.

Anyone know or had the same probs? I really hope its not the starter clutch as its engine out and split casings!

Would be a shame to do all that if its sommat else. Its a Yamaha XJ600 1984.

Ta for looking.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry, probably not going to be much help - just wondering if the XJ has a starter clutch drive chain to transfer the impetus to the crank from the starter?

I had a 1000RX which snapped the starter clutch drive chain (and took out an engine casing) but the starter itself was fine...

Paul

(Do you have a manual - if the starter is mounted above the crankshaft, then probably a chain to transfer the drive from starter to crank......)

Hi Paul,

Yes it does have a chain although I guess that may be ok as the bike runs and rides fine. This is the time when we need x-ray vision, could save alot of hassle.

Thanks anyways.

Hi.

Bike will run fine even if the starter clutch drive chain is snapped (as long as it's not jammed in the crankcase) - just won't transfer the action from the starter motor to the clutch (I bumped my RX and it ran when the starter clutch drive chain snapped).

Should be a (fairly simple?) matter of taking off the RHS crankcase cover and having a look.... can check the clutch at the same time if you think it's an issue).

Paul

Ahhh right. I got a day off Wed so I'll have a look. I assume if it has snapped it will be engine out and split casings? If so can I leave the top end on and just turn the engine upside down on the bench and work at it? I only just did the top end a couple of months back (snapped inlet bolt in the head) and the head gasket was nearly 30 quid!! Dont really wanna pay that again if I can get away with it.

Cheers Paul.

IF (big if) it is the starter clutch drive chain, it'll be fairly easy to change (designed to be) and should just be behind the crankcase cover, perhaps behind a securing plate, also involves a tensioner - but fairly 'simple' as things go.

Could be a problem with the starter motor itself not engaging - can possibly repair or can certainly replace starter motor.

Need to investigate first - let us know what you find.

Remember replacement chain for the RX was about £10.

Cheers,

Paul

I only wish it was just the starter but unfortunately my spare did the same thing.

Post back Wednesday.

• 7 months later...

did you ever get your bike fixed? mine is having similar problems. I took off the started and i can see there are teeth missing off the starter clutch (the big side of the gear with little teeth). I can see there is an inch gap where the gear has been sheared. is this a difficult part to replace? will i have to just take the case cover off or am I going to have to split the case?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online