fluids for my bike

Josh
This post is 6237 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently bought this bike and it had no fluids in it. I put in oil,and blead the breaks.But my question is what kind of fluid do I put in the master cylinder for my clutch? It says dot3 brake fluid on the cap but that doesn't sound right,does it? And do I need to put anything in the oil cooler? I know I sound like I shouldnt even be on a bike having to ask these questions it's just been a long while since i've messed with one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My bike is A 86 FJ-1200fluids for my bike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Josh.

Brake Fluid = hydraulic fluid (as it's hydraulic action that operates the disk brakes) and essentially the clutch is hydraulic also, so the same fluid can be used (there have been advances in fluid technology, so possibly can use Dot 4 instead of Dot 3, but to be safe go with the (fresh, unopened container of (as it absorbs water from the air, lessening its' effect)) Dot 3 Fluid in the clutch.

Oil Cooler - am not familiar with the FJ, but if it is a small dinky oil cooler perhaps a couple of inches high at the front of the engine, probably at the bottom of the engine, then there will be no way to top it up - the oil will be pumped around it by the bike lubrication system during running to cool it down, so the engine oil itself will fill the cooler..... if it's been totally drained during an oil change, then the level in the crankcase will drop slightly after it's filled the cooler again, best to recheck the level after a few miles and top up if needed.

Perhaps someone with an FJ1200 might confirm this info?

Apologies if I've not been clear enough, if unclear get back to us?

Cheers,

Paul :mellow:

Hi Josh.

Brake Fluid = hydraulic fluid (as it's hydraulic action that operates the disk brakes) and essentially the clutch is hydraulic also, so the same fluid can be used (there have been advances in fluid technology, so possibly can use Dot 4 instead of Dot 3, but to be safe go with the (fresh, unopened container of (as it absorbs water from the air, lessening its' effect)) Dot 3 Fluid in the clutch.

Oil Cooler - am not familiar with the FJ, but if it is a small dinky oil cooler perhaps a couple of inches high at the front of the engine, probably at the bottom of the engine, then there will be no way to top it up - the oil will be pumped around it by the bike lubrication system during running to cool it down, so the engine oil itself will fill the cooler..... if it's been totally drained during an oil change, then the level in the crankcase will drop slightly after it's filled the cooler again, best to recheck the level after a few miles and top up if needed.

Perhaps someone with an FJ1200 might confirm this info?

Apologies if I've not been clear enough, if unclear get back to us?

Cheers,

Paul :mellow:

:D thank you you were very clear and I apppriciate the help and it is a small cooler in the front of the bike but its at the top of the engine

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online