Rad Fan running when bike stone cold ????

sthomson
This post is 6282 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi people.

went for a blast yesterday (was great) came home, washed the bike and put her in the garage all nice and clean ready for the next good weather day!

A few hours later I heard a whining noise and traced it to the garage. !!! :mellow:

The Rad Fan on the bike was running but the bike was stone cold !! :huh:

The ignition was off but i started it up and shut it down to see if this would maybe reset it. but No ! it was still running. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the fan running.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happened? Im thinking maybe a dodgy temperature sensor???

I havent connected the battery again this morning to see if it still wants to run ( will do that soon ) maybe it was a short or something due to it being washed (pressure washer) !! :huh:

I dunno ! any help as always would be appreciated.

Cheers all and roll on the good weather

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi.

Most likely that the fan circuit is a permanent live circuit, with a switched earth (temperature sensor) allowing the fan to run after the engine is turned off if need be.

The power wash would certainly appear to have caused the problem - either trace the wiring back (as it could be shorting between the temperature sensor and fan, and check the switch itself.

(The switch itself shouldn't have been affected, more likely water in the circuit or a wire shorting somewhere - perhaps in the fan itself or at the switch?)

IF you have trouble finding the problem, then can change the circuit so that the fan is powered by a switched live (only when ignition is on) circuit...

What machine is it?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. Been away for a couple days. I just connected the battery there on the bike and the fan came on again ! its been a few days now since i washed it and it should have dried out now, dont you think?

How would i go about changing the circuit to a live only? sorry Im not the most technically proficient bloke there is but I am willing to try..... failing that i could take the bike to my local mechanic!! ( might be the safest option )

Thanks

Scott

PS: Its a 2003 (injection model) Yamaha R6

Hi Scott.

If you have a multimeter, you can trace a wire on the loom that is live (showing 12V flowing) only when the ignition is turned on.

If no multimeter, then a piece of wire with a fuse and a bulb in-line can be used, attach one end to the battery negative and use the other to probe connector blocks on the loom looking for a switched earth, then run a line from there to the fan positive supply (at the small junction box next to the fan) and the rad will only come on when the ignition switch is turned on. However, with your current issue, the fan would always be on when the ignition is switched on - not ideal.

Or you can put a switch in the circuit, placed on the dash, so that you can turn the fan off and on at will. Still not ideal.

If you have a competent mate, get them to have a look (cheaper than a mechanic). Try to fix the cause - could still be some water in the circuit, if that was the cause.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the bike?

Where are you - if near Swindon I'll have a look at it for you?

Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online