Yamaha 1976 DT400 - No Spark

GustineCA
This post is 6156 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am hoping someone here can offer some advice. My neighbor just gave me a 1976 Yamaha DT 400 that has been sitting in the back of his house for 10 - 12 years. I checked for a spark and the motorcycle has none. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about finding why there is no spark?

The battery is compleley shot. Does the motorcycle need a battery to start? My Honda doesn't?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robert

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Robert,

Your problem could stem from one or more of dozens of reasons. I would employ the process of elimination.

If the bikes been stood for that length of time, depending if its been inside or out, i'm not surprised at the lack of a spark. To start, as a matter of course i'd go out and buy a new spark plug, they do perish after that sort of time passage as would the H.T. lead, and for how little it'll cost i'd replace that too. Then rob the battery off your Honda for a bit and try the new plug. Failing that were going to be looking at following the line and getting technical until it goes. Try these initial steps first and see how ya go. When you attach the donor battery, dont forget to check any and all in line fuses!

P.S. I think it may be too late now, but after the bike standing for so long, did you drop some light oil down the plug hole before ya kicked it ?

Good luck !

Martin. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

I am hoping someone here can offer some advice. My neighbor just gave me a 1976 Yamaha DT 400 that has been sitting in the back of his house for 10 - 12 years. I checked for a spark and the motorcycle has none. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about finding why there is no spark?

The battery is compleley shot. Does the motorcycle need a battery to start? My Honda doesn't?

Robert

seems more of a corrosion problem. remove all the electricals including the stator , and rotor and brush all the connections with a steel brush

• 5 months later...

Robert

Had a couple of these old classics. If they sat for a few months I got no spark when kick starting it. When I towed it for a short distance it would fire every time. Why? Someone once told me the magneto would not generate enough juice to fire and suggested I try this. Worked every time. You do not need a battery to start it only to assist the lights and blinkers. Good luck.

Had a couple of these old classics. If they sat for a few months I got no spark when kick starting it. When I towed it for a short distance it would fire every time. Why? Someone once told me the magneto would not generate enough juice to fire and suggested I try this. Worked every time. You do not need a battery to start it only to assist the lights and blinkers. Good luck.

kinda random, but i spent 2 days with an avo trying to get a spark on my yb100, gave up, suirted some WD40 in the ignition switch, through the gap where the key goes, and hey presto problem solved. not saying it will work, but its another place to squirt the magic spray if you are running out of ideas :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online