I'm New here!

smonty862000
This post is 6414 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm Sam. I'm 20 and I cant wait till i'm 21 so I can take my big bike test lol!

I'm looking to get a R6 as a first bike. Any yays and nays on this would be helpful.

So HI everyone.

Sam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

This may be a silly question from a Yank...but is there an age limitation of 21 on riding a larger engine motorcycle in your country?

Here at age 16 you can ride anything that's legal...and in many states that's "anything". :lol:

Well it goes like this here first you need to take a compulsory basic training course before you set a wheel near the road,then at 16 you can ride a death trap called a moped 50cc .025bhp 30mph flat out down hill with the wind behind it, then at 17 you can ride a 125cc 12.5 bhp bike until you take your test after that you are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years after that you can ride what you want provided the insurance will cover you.

if you did not do this when you were 17 at 21 you can do what is called direct access basically you take your test on a bike of 56 bhp or more and you can then ride whatever you wish, A big problem in england now is what is called born again bikers I:E took there test on smallish bikes years ago never rode again since then relise oh i got to have a toy they go out and buy a new R1 or something wobble around for a few days then out into the traffic give it a blasting and end up embbeded in oncoming traffic,walls,hedges, etc through lack of experience

Merv

Thanks for explaining Merv. That is interesting. Do you think that this progressive limitation helps with safety, or is it just another governement 'mothering' program run amok?

BrewTrooper (Ken)

I am not sure i definetly think the 16 year old moped thing is dangerous maybe in towns and traffic ok

but out on the open roads where you have trucks and old women in cars doing 40 and regular drivers doing anything from 50 to 150 it is very dodgy, I know i tried one once. looked behind to see an old granny following me about 3 inches from the number plate. It was my daughters bike she had been asking me to do something about it, so i removed the gearing restrictor it did 45 mph after that , never got to removing the exhaust restrictioons though. I think maybe the 125 then 33 bhp thing helps a little, we used to be able to ride RD250,s etc on L plates quick bikes to get on as a first bike in those days, 0-60 in the same time as the porsche carrera of the day i seem to remember and a top sped of nearly100mph(Ta for reminding me Andy), there were many 17 year olds bit the dust in those days on busy roads some of those bikes tended to go into tank slappers at high speeds , and youndsters did not know how to deal with it i suppose,

merv

Having a RD250 again now i can vouch they do not feel brilliant at 75/80 mph now on modern rubber. Most likely more sense of fear/self preservation than need for speed now

Hi & welcome.

Personally I would say an R6 is a big step for a first bike and would suggest something a bit less focused, that way you can gain experience and no-claims bonus.

Thanks to Merv for the explanation because I find it all very confusing (old age creeps up you know ;) ) but I do agree that while the limitations seem to 'nanny'ish' , at the other extreme the near 100mph 250cc situation was stupid. Trouble is the balance isn't really too clever, as he says a moped that can't stay with traffic is very vulnerable.

Of course, when it comes to cc's and horsepower, at the end of the day the throttle turns both ways, but you have to live long enough to learn that :mellow:

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi sam - my first big bike is an R6 its a delight to ride when you riding safe! and to the speed limits (well most of the time) lol but to be honest you can be arse on any machine and be dangerous keep the clutch smooth on the gear change and youll be sweet....... :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online