Dodgy swingarm...

This post is 774 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, my Thunderaces swingarm is starting to seize up (frankly, I was constantly thinking it was my rear tyre that was soft! lol).

I would like to do the work myself, but I'm skeered! 😰

I'm off work for a week, is there anyone in the Wakefield area that would like to come over and crawl around a hard garage floor with me to kinda give pointers and second guess me?

There could well be bacon sandwiches and unlimited cups of tea in it..!

Basically, since I've never removed a swingarm before, I just don't want to do it on my own in case I get into trouble and can't carry on... 🥺

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
7 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

So, my Thunderaces swingarm is starting to seize up (frankly, I was constantly thinking it was my rear tyre that was soft! lol).

I would like to do the work myself, but I'm skeered! 😰

I'm off work for a week, is there anyone in the Wakefield area that would like to come over and crawl around a hard garage floor with me to kinda give pointers and second guess me?

There could well be bacon sandwiches and unlimited cups of tea in it..!

Basically, since I've never removed a swingarm before, I just don't want to do it on my own in case I get into trouble and can't carry on... 🥺

if it was last week i could have, but back at work now

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drewpy said:

if it was last week i could have, but back at work now

Bugger...

Thanks anyway lol

If you were closer I'd be happy too. 

There's not much to them in reality, Haynes manual and YouTube and you'll be reet!

As finnerz said I would help but I'm a long way from you, look at the manual and it will talk you through the sequence for dismantling it and rebuild, most of the time you don't even have to replace the bearings just wash them out with paraffin and then regrease, use a good quality grease tho as some can turn to liquid when they get hot. It's not hard to do and if you take your time and walk away when you want to set fire to it in frustration you should be fine. Time and patience are you friends , good luck and you can always ask us if you do get stuck, remember photos make it easier to rebuild something than trying to remember where all the parts go and it helps others who are trying to viualise the problem if you do get stuck.:)

• Like 1

Yeah, I know it's not a hard job, but it's my ONLY mode of transport, so if I get stuck, I can't get to work! lol
I've solved that problem by buying a V-Strom (well, I'll be buying it today), this means I can just take my time with the Ace and do it properly.
I just have to figure out a way to suspend it from the garage rafters since I don't have a centre lift! lol

3 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

Yeah, I know it's not a hard job, but it's my ONLY mode of transport, so if I get stuck, I can't get to work! lol
I've solved that problem by buying a V-Strom (well, I'll be buying it today), this means I can just take my time with the Ace and do it properly.
I just have to figure out a way to suspend it from the garage rafters since I don't have a centre lift! lol

Turn your footpegs upside down and then use axle stands 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

Turn your footpegs upside down and then use axle stands 👍

Hmmm, I'll look at that...

• 8 months later...

Just as an update, this is done...
I took it to work and suspended it from a forklift in the shop just before Christmas! :D

I was right to be worried, it turned into a bit of a pig of a job. The bearings were trashed in the suspension rocker (not something I knew I should be keeping an eye on.), once out, it turned out that I had a faulty rocker anyway, the central hole necks down in the middle, and mine was cast off centre!!!
It wasn't by much, but it put pressure on the bearings, which is probably what trashed them in the first place.

E-Bay and motorcycle breakers solved that problem with a new rocker that frankly looked almost brand new with perfect bearings still in it! :D

Unfortunately, once all back together, it turned out that my rear shock has failed..! :(

So, as a bonus question: Would I be better off:

a/ Getting mine reconditioned (assuming it's possible)?

b/ Getting a replacement from E-Bay?
c/ Buying an aftermarket shock?

I'm currently leaning towards 'b' AND then later 'a', which will give me a spare...

Thoughts?

P.S.

WOW!!! EIGHT months later!
I like the V-Strom, but man, I miss my Thunderace, this needs sorting out soon for the good weather! lol
I think I'm gonna run the V-Strom over winters and the Ace for the nice months from now on...

i'd check what other shocks for yours and do an eBay search for hagon, fornals etc. get a decent aftermarket shock which can be rebuilt

I took the shock off today (strangely, almost as difficult a job as removing the swingarm!!!), the shock is definitely not a sealed unit, so I'm looking good there.

However, it's one of those shocks with the remote gas canister (attached with a pipe), and it looks like there may be some corrosion damage to it, so it may be borked!
We'll see how it goes...

Would avoid ebay myself, haygon, nitron or maybe maxton, quality is subjective on anything else. Have spoken to people running these 3 and no complaints, hagon is the lower rent end and maxton will make you weep just looking at them. Prices are not that different.

There's always that problem lol.
Mine will require aluminium welding on the gas can (IF it can be welded), I've bought the best one off E-Bay, if it turns out to be duff, I'm hoping the can is in better condition, so I can make one out of two...
If it turns out to be in good condition, I'll get mine serviced and then I'll have a spare! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online