YZF1000R Thunderace!

Snakebite68

So I'm curious...

How many people in here have (or had) a Thunderace?

How was it?
What problems did you find?

What issues do they have?

What did you do to upgrade it?
What would you have liked to do to upgrade it?

And so on...

I've uprated my drive chain and sprockets (I was eating my standard ones for some reason (I'm not a speed freak, honest!)).

I've been wondering about getting some uprated spark coils.

Whilst not in terrible condition, my fairings are looking their age. I've been looking at the Chinese aftermarket fairing kits. Anyone ever got one? Any good?

Our lass keeps sliding down her seat when I'm braking, and attempting to break my nuts! I bought one of those triboseat covers (I call it her 'stickybum'), it helps, but not enough to save my nuts all the time. I've been entertaining the idea of making myself some custom seats.
But, I'm having trouble finding seat material I like. The original Thunderace covers are just plain smooth vinyl and are pretty slippy but modern seat materials are (I don't know how to describe it), more material like... Any ideas where to get it from?

Basically, this thread is a 'talk about Thunderaces' thread! :D Let's go!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So, while I'm waiting for wisdom on my previous questions 😉, I have another one about my exhaust...

I got it fitted with an aftermarket exhaust with no exup on it, it's not bad.
The can is an ART pro series II, my question is: Can I get a replacement baffle for it (did it actually ever come with a baffle?)?

I guess not many posting have thunder races.

as for seat material have you tried alcantara? its like a swede but manmade

You know, when I first came across the Thunderace again, I called them Thunder Races too! Took a while to place that mental space... lol

Does Alcantara feel like swede? I can't touch swede, it sets my teeth and fingernails on edge... eeew!!! rofl

Ack, even just the thought of it has set me off!

19 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

You know, when I first came across the Thunderace again, I called them Thunder Races too! Took a while to place that mental space... lol

Does Alcantara feel like swede? I can't touch swede, it sets my teeth and fingernails on edge... eeew!!! rofl

Ack, even just the thought of it has set me off!

I suspect it was my laptop that didn't like me putting thunderace in (had to try 3 times for the last one) 
yes its supposed to be like suede 

• 2 months later...

Hi Snakebite68, I have owned a Thunderace for 5 years now.  I replaced the coils, leads and plugs (36,000 miles) along with the steering head, swing arm and wheel bearings - the wheels were pretty scabby so I had them powder coated.  The steel headers had been patched when I bought the bike and had corroded again so I replaced with a Black Widow stainless set which works fine with no Exup.

I changed the friction and steel rings in the clutch as I could never find neutral which did make it better but the clutch is always going to be quite a pain for me with the angle of my wrists and the clip on bars.

I can't help you with seat material as I don't ride with a pillion I don't mind sliding about on the seat but you might want to think about the stuff that stops things sliding about on car dashes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262803774020

Well worth £2 to try.

The only issues I have had were with the waterpump seal which took half an hour or so to fix.

I really do like the bike but,,,going back to the wrist pain I decided now to junk the fairing and standard bars to go for a replacement CNC top yoke from CNC Top Yokes (£165 paying bank transfer) and some standard 7/8th bars. 

The fairing had been damaged and repaired several times and I'd thought about a Chinese version but thought not a lot of good comes out of there and hearing horror stories of trying to fit one never bothered.

This brings me on to my next post that I will make momentarily... to find out if anyone can suggest a replacement radiator for me as, with the fairing off, there's a whole heap of nasty, ugly sticky-out bits that are normally hidden by the fairing.  I'll also need something to keep the wind off and to mount the clocks and headlamp so probably looking along the lines of a headlamp fairing from Skidmarks...

Good luck with the 'Ace.  Great underestimated bike.

Funny you posted that material, we eventually got a Thunderace – Triboseat...

DON'T CUT UP YOUR FAIRING!!! See my post on your other thread..!

I've commuted on my Ace now for 2.5 years, it does it great, but it's feeling the pain.

Most recently the swingarm has seized up, so I've bought a V-Strom to take the strain off it and so I can strip it down and do the maintenance that it desperately needs.

I have heard good things about some of the Chinese fairings. If I had the cash, I'd consider it myself.