XJ600 scrambler

Stiiv
This post is 1411 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is the topic about my first and new project with my XJ600. 

My everyday bike in driving season (about April to October) is FZS1000. It is powerful and IMO goodlooking bike, although already 17 years old. I have driven 4 season with it and still love it. 

In winter, I saw the ad that -91 XJ600 is for sale. I thought that this is excactly what I need :)  The right one to fulfill my dream - to build the scrambler by myself. I love to be hands-on, I have a garage and I can find time. It seemed like the chance to create something nice. 

So, I went to see the bike. It was under the shed and the owner said it has been there about 6-7 years without any drive. Before that that bike was running well. A year ago he thought to get it running again. He cleaned the carburators with ultrasonic cleaner but that was all he managed to do. No further progress. So, now he decided to sell it for someone who could take her to the roads again. I had a battery with me so we tried the engine cranks over well, but as there was no carburators connected this time, we couldn't start the engine. Anyhow, the situation was promising

I accepted the challenge! :icon_wink:

I was very happy to be the new owner of this beauty and I had and still have great plans to turn her into mighty scrabler. 

So, before any bodywork, I assembled the carburators and exhaust pipes. He had disassembled these for cleaning and repairing. Also, I connected the battery from my other bike and small external tank for gasoline. The engine cranked over well but nothing happened. No start. As the carbs were recently cleaned and maintained, there couldn't be issue. So, the problem had to be in electrics. I disassembled two plugs and checked - no spark. I removed all of them and noticed that no spark none of them.

Well, I went to local motoshop and took new plugs, plug caps and ignition coil wires. Also new brake caliper repair kits and brake pads for all the calipers, just in case.

Anyhow, new plugs, plug caps installed and new wires connected - still nothing. No spark. Well, seemed that this problem is more complicated than assumed. I went and bought multimeter to start to check whether system parts are in working order. 

Checked ignition coils. Primary resistance OK. Secondary resistance OK. For both of them. Plug caps are new, resistance OK, checked. Then checked pickup coil. resistance OK. 

There are different safety switches. I also checked these one by one. Neutral switch - green signal lamp on dashboard OK, continuity OK. Kill switch, continuity OK. Clutch switch, continuity OK. Ignition switch, continuity OK. Safety relay/diode replaced with working one, no change. 

So, all system parts seem to be OK, but still no spark. And no more ideas 😕🤔

The only moment, how I can see spark on all four plugs is when I switch the ignition switch key continuously on-off or switch the killing switch in same way on-off repeatedly. Then there is nice spark on all plugs. But when I engage the starter, the engine cranks over easily but no spark.

So, thats the situation at the moment. I can't hear the engine voice and before I know the engine works well, I don't want to do any body modifications. 

Good ideas are needed to solve this issue! :idea:

PS. How can I insert pictures which are not to be inserted from URL?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

maybe your TCI has gone. have you ensured the earths are clean from the battery and to the engine.
Switching on and off is the work of a simple contact set, that's why I'm looking at the TCI having issues.

If you look on the TCI there is a TID number, try and borrow one of the same type to see if its that

good look with the build

Thanks for the advice about TCI. Actually this is one of the last options in my mind as well. I talked with local Yamaha dealer and asked if they can check the TCI whether it is OK or not, they said they can't. So yes, I can only try with one which is certainly works well.

My TCI is TID14-78 and it's quite rare already. Not much bikes left which are using this TCI and works well.

I should also check and clean earth contacts, because I cleaned all the connectors with electric contact cleaner and I think, these must be clean now. 

Stiv, you and drewps have got the tci sussed, so here's how I add pictures.

Open up postimages.com 

Click on upload

From your gallery, click on desired pic, press upload

Once uploaded click on hotlink for forums

Copy link and paste in your post

Check preview, and if it just shows the link, delete the "s" from the two https 

On 5/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, Stiiv said:

I should also check and clean earth contacts, because I cleaned all the connectors with electric contact cleaner and I think, these must be clean now. 

Definitely, had the same issue on my friends v max, turned out the earth line from the coil was high resistance, not broken as such but around 13 to 14k ohms resistance. That was enough to make the cdi throw a fit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online