YZ125 Project Grandpa - Maybe ???

IronTom
This post is 1676 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'll make this short.   A neighbor's grandson stored his YZ125 MX machine in grandpa's garage when he went off to university, some 10 years ago.

Grandpa wants "us" to CONVERT the MX into a docile motorbike he can take to the mountain cabin and putt-putt around on dirt roads.

With a cold beer in hand, we uncovered the 'project', and the first thing I saw was its height.     Better make a list;

#1:   PuttPutt bikes do not include a stepladder.    Replace the suspension. 

#2:   Grandpa's butt will not fit.    Replace the seat.  

#3:   Grandpa will remove all the plastic parts in order to see the skeleton.   AGREED!

Week#2

I hoped that would dampen his plans, but he already has it running !     No chain, no rear tire, broken clutch,,, the usual.

#4:  First thing he notices: Its too loud. Replace exhaust-arrester with a real $$$ muffler/silencer.  

#5:  List parts needed, sic: parts I may already have.   (I happen to have a MC junk pile we can use). 

Week#3

Here's where you can help "us" ---  I'm thinking it would be easier (and safer) to put that engine into another bike.

I have a nice donor Yamaha enduro (175?250)  with large hole in crankcase.  Making mounts for that YZ125 appears simple.

I have a Honda ATV rad unit, way smaller than the Yamaha, but twice as thick.  It would fit behind the engine.

Also have small 12vFan cooled rad unit from a Polaris(Sachs 360) snow machine.  But, does the YZ have 12V alternator ?

Any ideas ???    especially ideas that can save ME a lot of work !!!     

Edited by IronTom
spilling

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online