Jump to content
Ryengoth

1982 XJ550 Maxim Rebirth

Recommended Posts

Engine is back apart. Cam shims are all over the place in spec. Gonna have to try a few bucket/shim combinations before I order a bunch of 240/245/250/255 shims. #4 rings were stuck polishing up 2 vertical spots. #3 was stuck as well but nothing showed on the cylinder walls. Looks like I get to pull the pistons, clean the ringlands and re-ring the pistons again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Project on hold due to funds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 I managed to get 3 of the 4 carbs rebuilt. One needs to have the bowl painted still. Dunno how I ended up with 3 rights and 1 left. #4 has paint curing. Hope to have the rack reassembled this weekend. The engine rebuild is on hold until funds allow for new rings and cylinder O-rings.

 

dhMthpb.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the engine work is on hold I finished up the carb rebuild and reassembly. I had a struggle to get a good butterfly and proper shaft for #1. Most of the butterfly screws stripped or sheared off. I either ended up ruining the threads drilling out the screws or destroying the butterfly trying to get it out of the damaged shaft slot. I managed to get all the pieces needed back in place and even got the plugs out of the idle mix screw tubes and cleaned the idle mix screws. The o-rings were skinny plastic discs instead of o-rings so they needed to be replaced a long time ago. Some shiny new screws here and there will finish it off before it goes back on. Time for wet set and bench sync/adjustments.

 

TnWR5yN.jpg

TZrlo2z.jpg

H3tWVHH.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

didn't know they had a heat shield?

don't think the UK had them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drewpy said:

didn't know they had a heat shield?

don't think the UK had them

  The XJ 550 Maxim does. I don't know if the 650 or 750 does, I've not looked at the parts diagram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The turn signal switch was acting up when I was testing the electrical re-install. I guess broken solder joints on the slider would cause problems. Went ahead and refreshed the wire contact joints on all the parts. Have to do the other half next and then toss some paint on the housing.

fLkWDzO.jpgwNkC0QQ.jpgphiiB5B.jpgyNn5hzA.jpglmeSNxm.jpgGRS6bYj.jpg6vOd6TG.jpgnFLs5N7.jpgCataVes.jpgk4CenWn.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headlight bucket has been buffed outside and treated inside for rust. Shined up nicely. The throttle control assembly has been rebuilt and painted as well.

j2UnsQn.jpgt2qiXB4.jpg

ey7ARDG.jpgK5KiqfI.jpg8wHVg2H.jpgx6wedb2.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power House caliper piston rebuild kit is done. Need new pads, though.

yOu06vK.jpgHxQ6sLg.jpgJbtNBv0.jpgnkyHrV2.jpgzzl45RE.jpggimemcj.jpgS40lFRi.jpgIzOIsCC.jpgjdyjPWB.jpgabRk6d0.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Front brake has new pads and new fluid. No leaks.

Fuse box finally starting causing issues with the clips breaking. This will work for now.

7btELPe.jpg

rAly0fV.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seat pan and foam are in great shape. Keeping it. 

The seat cover split at the passenger riser panel. Hand stitched it back together, double-stitch. Added some 3M yellow goo and new vinyl to take the stretch stress off the panel seam.

YinXb6W.jpgD9j5RvP.jpg

OHxvBOL.jpgqolEH7a.jpgkvVRX12.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally give you a 'like' for your pics bud, but not with they big fekkin toes spoiling it  😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photobomb..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24-hour heavy soak in Armor All and then a rub-n-rinse in hot water. Pliable and soft again. A LOT of dirt came out of the pores, the protectant/cleaner did a good job cleaning without breaking the vinyl down. Another 24-hour soak is in progress to restore some more of the plasticizers, then I'll apply either lanolin or vinyl conditioner to seal it all and let it fully dry before buffing it out. I'm hoping it'll look like shiny new leather! Looks like I'll need one repair on the tail for staples, but it'll be hidden. The rest is good to go for re-install, with a little jute padding on the top of the seat foam. The brown color is from the cleaner in the pores. As the vinyl dries it returns to black.sXh7VsP.jpgCLSJXPC.jpgjMGgglS.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...