dt125lc old project frame /engine numbers

justin j
This post is 2070 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello all, i have been reading and reading tons on this subject, only seeing 9 digit numbers with a letter in them.

now on my what i think is a mk1 1982 dt125lc   has this 9 digit on frame  493-000829   and on engine has 000 829

now when i have been searching, and others having same only 9 digits , they have at least one letter in this.

anyone able to give me any info on this bike? did it ever start as a road legal bike, as this was bought as a off road bike 7 years ago.

only just got back to this project, so any help getting the full information on this would be great.

i know nothing much about bikes, did they sell off road bikes in 82? stupid question i expect.

hope you all can help... justin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

493 could well be the prefix for the dt, its missing on my list. Having a letter in the prefix is far more common than not. The fact the 6 engine digits match prob means your just not seeing the first part. It was in 82 that the newer 17 digit system came on stream which is easier. And yes, they did sell off road bikes in 82, they have sold off road bikes alongside road bikes since more or less the beginning in the 50's.

hello, thanks for your reply, i've triple checked the frame numbers, and there does seem to be no more prefix before the 493 or after.

i thought they brought the 17 vin  in 1981. i read somewhere. i've been reading and reading looking searching. seeing so much information, a lot of people saying different things.

i've ended up knowing less information than i started with. lol . i thought very strange not to have 1 letter in the first 3 digits...

It does happen, Yamaha are a bit hit and miss at the best of times. My TDR only has 1KT as the engine number, that is because that's the model identifier and all Yam bothered with in home markets.

If, in the past someone damaged an engine case then the replacement cases would come blank and the mechanic would be expected to stamp the numbers in. How often do you think that happened. 

well now i'm even more confused... just got an email from yamaha customer service.

now i know it is not a 1975 ty250 just by looking at the bike when i 1st got it.

im actually re doing the petrol tank at the moment..here is there email...

any thoughts anyone.?? really thought i would get some real answers..if they dont know then no one wll surely..

Good Morning,

Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunately due to the age the information is very limited.

From the number you have supplied 493-000829 I can advise the machine is a 1975 model year TY250.

The machine would have originally been a trials machine (off road) and is not likely to be road registered.

I can advise older machines do not have a 17 digit VIN as they only came out in the 2000’s.

and wow... just got another email from motorcyclesspareparts giving parts catalog below..???

Dear Mr(s) Barber,

Than you for your reply.

Please find the spare parts catalog attached.

raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=16e0ac15-6

Kind regards, Mit Freundlichen Grußen, Met vriendelijke groeten,

Frank Hazekamp

thing is , i dont know a lot about bikes, but just to look at a ty250 and a dt125 there is massive difference in the looks.

my engine has 10v on it. both numbers on frame and engine are proper, clean , nothing has been etched off..

im also re doing the swing bar on the bike.. how can this all be??

hi, yes that's the dt125lc 1982 i thought i had..  not sure what kind of story  how a ty250 1975 model can be mixed up.

but after doing some digging around. all the ty250 numbers i was seeing were the same or not very close to my frame and engine number,,,

so still very confused...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online