New speedo idiot lights

Spike101uk
This post is 2588 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've bought a new speedo as it has incorporated idiot lights for high beam,  indicators amd neutral leds,  I've wired them up correctly as far as I can see, by basically detaching from old lights amd wiring to speedo, but they don't work, the high beam worked for a bit but now doesn't,  any suggestions,  would it be due to them being led and not original bulbs. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

LED's are polarity sensitive so yes it may well do. Is there a separate fuse for these lights?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Ok just to update I've played around with speedo this morning and currently have the back light led on and the neutral and high beam lights work as they should however the indicator light is always on, and I have a spare brown wore coming from wire harness, and according to the only wire diagram I can find that's close to my bike goes to foot brake and then to neutral. So what do I do to make indicator warning light function properly 

Ok a new update Neautral light only comes on when in every other gear but Neautral and nothing at all when engine is running, found a reed switch in old speedo but according to diagram I have it goes to a green and white wire to the relay but I only have 3 brown wires going to my relay.  Havnt got a clue most of wires on diagram match mine apart from the odd few must point out I have  a xv125 and using a xv250 diagram

You need to show us the wiring diagram or tell us the details of the unit your messing with otherwise there is no way we can help. I haven't the faintest idea what a random brown wire on an aftermarket unit may be for. Let alone anything else,

Screenshot_2016-12-28-16-33-58

This is the wiring of thr speedo unit 

IMG-20170123-WA0022

This is thr wiring diagram i have its for an xv250 but it seems 90% of the colours wires match up to my xv125 

At the front of the bike on diagram on thr left there is a plug with 6 wires going into from the dummy lights, they go in as per thr colours on this diagram but 3 are just the same plain brown and go to the flasher relay, I've basically dine direct swaps with the wires from original dummy light unit to wires coming from speedo, so far only high beam works, I've plugged everything in but have one brown wire left from relay and the Green and white wire from metre light to reed switch doesn't seem to do anything once I attached that, as didn't at first and assumed that was problem

Looks like your reading things wrong. Ignore the reed switch its for the self canceling indicators. (Rarely works).

Is there a main +12 input to the new unit or just those wires?

Next, have you put the main neg to earth and put +12v to each colour to see what comes on.

Lastly. Put the neutral neg - to earth and + the  neutral green. See what that does. With that info i can run you through it.

Yep just those 7 wires from new speedo unit, the neutral is backwards as in it illuminates when in every gear apart from neutral, but my flasher relay also only has a brown and a brown and white wire going into it, not the 5 wires that diagram states

Should of said with it currently wired uo the neutral acts like that , it's obviously not supposed to 

Which wires have you connected for neutral, on yamaha's its an earth leg. As in the bulb has power and the neutral switch at the gearbox drops the earth to switch it. It could well operate in reverse if you have wired the unit backwards.

Some bikes will have additional wiring to tell the bike which gear its in for say a gear indicator.

Normal logic suggests an ig feed to the green and the black connecting to the sky blue wire to the neutral switch, the only wire of that colour on the bike. The best bet for an ig feed on the above diagram at least would be the front brake switch feed which is a brown wire, the connector should be 2 pin with a green/yellow wire (yellow tracer). The brown should be live at all times the ig is on.

24 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Which wires have you connected for neutral, on yamaha's its an earth leg. As in the bulb has power and the neutral switch at the gearbox drops the earth to switch it. It could well operate in reverse if you have wired the unit backwards.

Some bikes will have additional wiring to tell the bike which gear its in for say a gear indicator.

Normal logic suggests an ig feed to the green and the black connecting to the sky blue wire to the neutral switch, the only wire of that colour on the bike. The best bet for an ig feed on the above diagram at least would be the front brake switch feed which is a brown wire, the connector should be 2 pin with a green/yellow wire (yellow tracer). The brown should be live at all times the ig is on.

I've connected the green wire coming from speedo to the sky blue wire and both black wires coming from speedo to 2 different earth wires,

OK,

Have you connected the system neg to a good earth. Then forget that one, then connect the black neutral neg to the sky blue and put 12v to the green then what happens.

38 minutes ago, Cynic said:

OK,

Have you connected the system neg to a good earth. Then forget that one, then connect the black neutral neg to the sky blue and put 12v to the green then what happens.

Right I've connected green from speedo to brown and black to sky blue,  the neutral works perfectly, however,  when I put into gear the static yellow indicat or light (still to be sorted) and the high beam indicator both go off, and I'm left with an earth wire coming from bike but nothing to attach it too

Don't worry about spare earths on the bike, its relative. Everything metal on the bike is a prospective earth path. Earth wires are just convenience.

Have you connected the main spedo earth or 'power negative' as they called it to earth.

The two yellow wires need to be connected, one to a dark green. The other yellow to a dark brown (yeah I know). Basiclly the same wires that connected to your original indicator warning light.

The main beam or blue on the new spedo needs to connect to the yellow main beam wire.

Main beam is connected to yellow and works fine also both yellow are connected to dark green and brown, the warning light then comes on and doesn't go off at all, but as before all thr warning lights go off when put in gear 

Hmmm, ok swap the blacks around see what happens.

The neutral light should stay lit if the other black is a clean earth and nothing else. Turning on indicators, main beam, the works should not affect it.

And what did the neutral light do?