Aprilia 50cc rebuild.

Cynic
This post is 2630 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well its home and..... em.... well... OK its a shed.

It has not had a lot of love and the person I got it from has bought it to fix and bottled it after working on it a tiny bit.

Good:

Engine is oil tight, looks unopened save the top end

Really good spark

Frame looks good and straight,

No bad rust anywhere

Bodywork is complete if a little 'weatherd'

Bar basic fixings its pretty much all there.

Suspention sound and working

Forks have minor pitting outside of the seal area, look oil tight too.

Bad:

Don't think it will run, fuel in it was yellow.......

Petrol in the gearbox

Water in the 2stroke tank

Engine really shitty

Wiring is a DISASTER

Plastic tank with some of the body fixings in it cross threaded, new one on me that.

Photobucket seems to have gone to the dogs so pictures might have to wait. Anybody know a useable photo site that doesn't advert you to death.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Biggest pain atm is finding any kind of manual. At the moment I can get an engine manual and have found a wiring diagram which in reality looks pretty generic for these bikes like the engine.

The rest of the cycle parts will have to be parts fiches like csml and fowlers and old fashioned experience. I have joined the Aprilia forum too.

It does feel a bit like a car nut getting an Alpha ? Like something you should do even though its probably a bad move.

I know the feeling, having recently acquired an Aprilia myself. It's already costing me money!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

The fuel in the oil would be my main concern... And water in the two stroke tank... 

If you're missing any bits I know a guy down in Swansea that most likely has them, could be an idea to drop in another loom if the wiring is that bad

Well its a frame with forks in my garage now, came apart ok.

Going to rebuild the motor anyway, its like 30 odd quid for just about all the consumable parts on the motor except the piston. We live outside of Northampton leaving the daughter with a 10 mile trip on country roads from her intended 6th form college. Reliability over performance.

Suspension looks good all but one of the bolts came out, the knuckle is fkt but that is hardly a shock and I can build my own loom.

All in not too bad, could have been better but could have been worse, did a little dance when the sw arm pivot came out easy. That would have been a bitch.

• Like 3

I dont care. 

Anybody finding out the sw arm spindle is free would.

The only one that siezed in its bush comes out with the shock so it can be sorted on the bench in a vice. 

I have them, its just finding a host. I have also just discovered the 'double conrod' or whatever the Italians call the rear suspension link that connect the dog bones, chassis and shock  should be made of sodding gold. I hope the bushes/bearings are replaceable.

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, Cynic said:

I have them, its just finding a host. I have also just discovered the 'double conrod' or whatever the Italians call the rear suspension link that connect the dog bones, chassis and shock  should be made of sodding gold. I hope the bushes/bearings are replaceable.

Well you can get the bearings, 7quid a pop or so, i'm not sure how they come out. Anybody changed the bearings in a suspension relay?

Did the ones on my DT. Made a puller with some threaded bar and some sockets. Would be easier with a press though, one was a bitch to get out

2 of em have fallen apart once it was off, just the outer races left. Was thinking I could cut them out maybe?

Bench vice works as an effective press when your closing it with a decent set of stilsons

29 minutes ago, Cynic said:

2 of em have fallen apart once it was off, just the outer races left. Was thinking I could cut them out maybe?

Bench vice works as an effective press when your closing it with a decent set of stilsons

I"v fked  a few vices  like that ,  they go stiff,   <_<

Were not talking land rover chassis (60 tonnes) bushes so I might give it a try, only one complete one to get out and that will like as not dissintergrate. Will use heat/ cold to put in the new, like crank bearings.

I used the vice at work to get the last of mine out. The outer races should press out but cutting will work

Ok first pictures of 'Arrow' as she has christened it already.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/147905465@N08/j2CBHP

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online