SR 125 Custom rebuild

jonny5
This post is 2663 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi peps 

I rencently recovered my baby after she was rudely snatched during the night and used and abused by a group of little hood rats so ive decided shes gunna be treated to a full rebuild and turned into a real custom bike to be proud of

Now for pictures 

My girl before she had here inocents stolen 

maxresdefault_zpshdlh7qlg.jpg

After she had been ravaged 

IMG-20161122-WA0000_zpsuhsywihz.jpg

So i started to strip her down 

IMG-20161120-WA0000_zpsryx2jnup.jpeg

IMG-20161120-WA0002_zpskshqaut1.jpeg

Now she had been fully stripped i have a basic list of parts that will need replacing 

Fuel tank - purcased 

Fuel cap 

Ignition barrel 

Clutch lever 

Clutch sensor

Brake lever - repaired 

Brake sensor - repaired

Front disc 

Brake pads 

Rear brake shoes 

Throttle cable - purcased 

Throttle housing - purcased 

Grips 

Headlight 

Rear mudguard

Seat

New switchs 

Today the real work stared i went out and brought 3 crimped cup wire head for my angle grinder and started cleaning up and removing the paint off the frame 

Before i started 

20161125_131919_zps0ryb6mbl.jpg

20161125_131919_zps0ryb6mbl.jpg

After 2 hours

20161125_131848_zps2d17irra.jpg

Ive managed to get about 50% finished today tomoz im gunna finish stripping her and im gunna rust treat the whole frame with kurust and clean so she is preped and ready for primer 

Cheers for reading 

Ride safe

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
4 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Great thread, :thumb:  well done ,  lot of folk wudda given up on her. 

No one should ever give up, give it enough elbow grease you can make a turd shine lol 

Evening guys 

Little update for ya managed to get 75% of the frame stripped only got started at bout 3 so didnt have long before i lost the light but had a friend over to help me get the tyre off and was greeted by this

20161127_184945_zpsbtsylss6.jpg

So i stripped the rim

IMG-20161127-WA0002_zpsibigpyst.jpeg

And ground off all the surface rust 

20161127_192620_zpsxwg8jxa5.jpg

Put 5ml of kurust im a glass and used a old brush 

20161127_193006_zpswcayzjv5.jpg

And dabbed the kurust over the surfsce that needed treating as it goes on it turns blue once reaction has finished it will go black

20161127_193022_zpszmjs70kk.jpg

Thanks for reading 

Ride safe 

15 hours ago, jonny5 said:

So i stripped the rim

And ground off all the surface rust 

before checking for any  offset of the spokes?

Well done mate I have got to say sr was never a bike I wanted to own but I love the look of the end result bike what a transformation will follow your thread and the way your going I think it won't be long before you have a great looking bike !! Good luck 

Bet your getting stick from her in doors about the kitchen table restoration! Lol!

• Like 1

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 0:17 PM, drewpy said:

Well done mate I have got to say sr was never a bike I wanted to own but I love the look of the end result bike what a transformation will follow your thread and the way your going I think it won't be long before you have a great looking bike !! Good luck 

Bet your getting stick from her in doors about the kitchen table restoration! Lol!

My mrs is going mad atm bud she wants her table back but its to cold to be in my shed pmsl 

20161129_090354_zpsohklad8v.jpg

Ride safe 

• Like 2

Morning peps 

After 15 hours of grinding and cleaning the frame she if finaly preped ready for painting

20161129_090310_zpsy2ei1fo0.jpg

Yesterday my new tank arrived managed to get it for a bloody bargain 29.99 with postage and it is clean as anything

20161129_090332_zpsr34hh1dx.jpg

only issue was it didnt come with a key so i had to drill the lock out 

20161129_090341_zpsygyx8qqv.jpg

Gunna prep it today ready to decide on what to do with it dont know if i should clear coat or paint it 

Cheers for reading 

Ride safe 

• Like 1

Hi Jonny 15 hours of grinding I admire your work ethic our local sandblaster does a medium frame and swing arm 80quid including powder coat but I suppose that's the easy way out used to do the even harder way by hand when I was a kid I think that's what put me off! Keep up the hard work you making good progress top looking tank for the money!

• Like 2

Im trying to keep all costs as low as possible and try not to have things done  professionally probally will send the tank in for spraying as it needs to be perfect (and im not playing with cyanide based paints) other than that All will be done by my fair (full of metal fragment pmsl) hands

• Like 2

Jonny looks like your going to have a top job and at a bargain price mate I think your right to have the tank done by a sprayer shouldn't be to many dollars because you've done all the hard work sounds like your going for 2 pack it's a fab finish and you can almost play basketball with your tank without damaging it lol! Hi drewpy did you think 80 quid was a bit steep for blast and powder coat I thought it seemed a pretty good deal especially if the bike was in a state and to get a top job but not as satisfying as doing yourself

Is that still mrs Jonny kitchen table lol

Loving the photo with a side panel in the fruit bowl!

• Like 2

Good evening guys 

Sorry for the late update today but been busy, I managed to get the tank sanded down and ready for painting 

IMG-20161130-WA0003_zpsqxjlcceq.jpeg

My frame paint and primer arrived late this evening was hoping it arrive this morn so I could get the frame and tank primed but will have to wait till Tomoz now 

20161130_221835_zpsmwfsu0up.jpg

IMG-20161130-WA0005_zpspz4erfkc.jpeg

I've got until Friday to clear the table or im sleeping under it MRS HAS SPOKEN 

23 hours ago, Back in the day said:

Loving the photo with a side panel in the fruit bowl!

Where else would you put one 

Ride safe

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Back in the day said:

Hi Jonny all looking good bud so mrs Jonny has spoken ! Have you used the paint for the frame before looks interesting good luck for Friday hope you've got a sleeping bag!

Hi B.I.T.D

Oh hell Yea but ill dig out my fishing bed if needs be lol 

Had the paint recommended to me by a friend said its bril so worth a punt was a little pricey for spray £12 a can but you get what I pay for I suppose

Hi people 

Been busy today got my frame and tank primed up and ready to be paint loving this paint goes on real and gives a nice clean finish bonus is this primer drys in 10 

IMG-20161201-WA0011_zps1hekszxb.jpeg

IMG-20161201-WA0015_zpszonl5bns.jpeg

IMG-20161201-WA0017_zpsbszp5dzq.jpeg

Ride safe 

• Like 1