oil leak xj900sdiversion

bungy
This post is 6537 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

[Had bike a few months and now there is an oil leak from one of the exhaust pipes from the engine. This is dripping constantly and the oil level drops after 350 miles usage. I keep topping up , have not lost power, but is embarrassing when parked up. Any one had a similar problem?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

[Had bike a few months and now there is an oil leak from one of the exhaust pipes from the engine. This is dripping constantly and the oil level drops after 350 miles usage. I keep topping up , have not lost power, but is embarrassing when parked up. Any one had a similar problem?

Hi fellow biker

When you so oil is leaking from "one of the exhaust pipe from the engine", where exactly is it leaking from, most enginges have a small drain hole just below each exhaust outlet on the cyclinder haed, to let any fluid that gets into the spark plug recess to drain away, if it's eminating from here; than is is probable that the cam cover is not tightened down, the cam cover seal is not fitted correctly / failing and allowing oil - via the plug recess - to drain out or a cracked cam cover. If it is actually coming out of the exhaust pipe itself then the likely culprit is a failed valve stem seal. Before you panic it is possible to replace valve stam seals without removeing the cylinder head, with offening cylinder at TDC, replace plus with air line fitted with plug thread and use compressed air to stop the valve falling into the cylinder.

Clean around and above where you think the leak is, start and / or ride it until you can clearly identify where the leak is.

Have you or any one done any work on the motor top end, ie chack valve crearances ?

Hopes this helps

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow biker

When you so oil is leaking from "one of the exhaust pipe from the engine", where exactly is it leaking from, most enginges have a small drain hole just below each exhaust outlet on the cyclinder haed, to let any fluid that gets into the spark plug recess to drain away, if it's eminating from here; than is is probable that the cam cover is not tightened down, the cam cover seal is not fitted correctly / failing and allowing oil - via the plug recess - to drain out or a cracked cam cover. If it is actually coming out of the exhaust pipe itself then the likely culprit is a failed valve stem seal. Before you panic it is possible to replace valve stam seals without removeing the cylinder head, with offening cylinder at TDC, replace plus with air line fitted with plug thread and use compressed air to stop the valve falling into the cylinder.

Clean around and above where you think the leak is, start and / or ride it until you can clearly identify where the leak is.

Have you or any one done any work on the motor top end, ie chack valve crearances ?

Hopes this helps

Good luck

Hi, thanks for the tip, I have been unable to answer your email as I have been working away. I have cleaned up the area and it appears to be coming from one of the bolts from the exhust clamp. The spark plug is a little damp also, but if I keep the speed down to around 60-65 mph the problem does not seem to occur, I know slow down. Anyway I shall check what you suggested and get back to you.

Cheers

Bungy

sorry bungy about my reply what i meant was why dont you take it to your local garage and ask them to fix it.

crispytw :D

Hi, I did and he contacted Yamaha, as he used to work for them, and they were as baffled as everybody else, no offence taken to your reply it was expected really, what a stupid question, I was asking for it

Bungy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online