SR125 CDI replacement advice?

dartman5
This post is 2787 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

My bike has a faulty CDI unit which is causing total loss of power every time I go over any kind of bump so it needs replacing, but I've been looking around and I'm confused by models and dates. Mine is from 1995 so does this mean anything pre-2003 when the new shape was introduced will work? Also how likely is the new shape to work in my bike, is it specifically for post 2003 models, as the new one is much easier to obtain and much cheaper. 
Thanks! :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've ruled out pretty much everything else, spent far too long and too much money getting pretty much every possible problem fixed like fuel filter, carb cleaning, tank cleaning, jet cleaning, new spark plug, new battery and regulator, in fact after it stalled the last time I tested the spark plug and the spark was intermittent so it's basically the only thing left to try... If I'd have known it would be so expensive to try and run this bike I would definitely have got another one but I've already spent so much and I'm aware a dodgy 125 is worth piss all to most potential buyers :(

There are two types with different multi plug connectors (from memory the early models have a single 4 plug connector, whilst the later ones have a 4 plug and a 2 plug, so just make sure you have right one.) Bearing in mind that buying a 2nd hand one is just replacing a 20yr old part with another 20yr old part. Once again from memory I think the change was in 2002 models onwards*

Have you checked all connections as losing power going over a bump seems like a loose wire. The CDIs for that model are fully encapsulated in resin so would be insulated from vibration, bumps etc

* As stated it is from memory so the exact details may be different but it is definitely two different multi plugs

• 2 weeks later...

In my recollection these ones cannot be repaired as they are encapsulated in resin (When I say can't, I mean they can but all the resin needs removed and the companies I enquired with were not interested)

I'm surprised they are hard to find. When I was looking for one for my boys bike (on 2 separate occasions) they were easy enough to get from ebay, but as I say I was replacing a 20yr old part with another of the same age hence the reason for me having to buy 2 over his 2 yr ownership

Edit//  It would appear you are right enough regarding their availability, maybe they have just run out. 

This company selling this pick up are breaking a '98 model bike so maybe they still have the CDI  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-SR125-98-IGNITION-PICK-UP-D368-/131472269485?hash=item1e9c5ba0ad:m:m7HLKdmCZa6L1gSXT_hthog

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online