FJ-1200 sump plug stripped :-(

DutchFJ1200
This post is 2774 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents,

Did a full service myself yesterday : pads/oil/filters-air-oil/brake fluids.

Was prepared for a 'stiff' sump plug but to my surprise it was no effort at all.

When I pulled the strands of PTFE tape off the plug + the absence of a copper washer alarm bells should have started ringing.

(thanks PO or bike shop :angry:)

When replacing the plug I had my answer. A quick Google proved that this is a bit of a design fault on the FJ. Many owners have extensive experience with the issue. To little thread in the pan or to high torque settings for the SS plug in the manual.

Got 3 options : a)drill & tap one size bigger, b)helicoil. c) glue the damn thing in with loctite and change oil in future taking one of the oil cooler pipes off/glue plug shut and suck oil out (but then you never get to the crud in the bottom of the pan).

Being pretty vertically technically challenged option c is the only one realistically open to me.  Dropping 3 litres of oil on the tarmac is not desirable.

Thoughts ?

PS.: Ignorance is bliss : I would have driven that bike to the ends of the world ........ now less so :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi mate. I too had a problem with my yammy sr sump plug although not completly gone. I would recommend get the sump plug repaired. Bite the bullet and get it done properly. You need to get all the shite out of the sump. Think long term and it could damage engine. You will also drive to the end of the earth if you know the bike is right. Some things are not worth skrimping on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, pignapper said:

Hi mate. I too had a problem with my yammy sr sump plug although not completly gone. I would recommend get the sump plug repaired. Bite the bullet and get it done properly. You need to get all the shite out of the sump. Think long term and it could damage engine. You will also drive to the end of the earth if you know the bike is right. Some things are not worth skrimping on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate,

Should have clarified my title better : Nothing wrong with the plug - its the thread in the bottom of the shite aluminium sump it screws into.

Update :  Normal service on the low flying machine has been resumed :lol:

Dropped the new oil yesterday evening. Degreased plug and what remains of the thread in the pan.

A small bit of PTFE tape + a copious amount of Blue Loctite 243.

To top it orf : encased the plug in Belzona (for the uninitiated : Belzona is a 2 component metal paste that goes off like granite)

Weather is too nice to drive around at 50mph with butt clenched wondering if the damn thing is going to make an unscheduled exit <_<

Will see in 5000 miles what I'm doing next.

Funny ol' world : Grouch can't get the damn thing out - I was afraid it was going to drop out by itself ............ go figuire 

Carry on !!

Sorry to hear that Dutch, what about one of these things fitted later in the year http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272113279957?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT was going to fit one to the FJR in the winter, with all the other things that need doing!!! Helicoil the hole and then fit this.

49 minutes ago, slice said:

Sorry to hear that Dutch, what about one of these things fitted later in the year http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272113279957?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT was going to fit one to the FJR in the winter, with all the other things that need doing!!! Helicoil the hole and then fit this.

Hi Slice,

Thanks mate.  Got to say that there was very little contamination in the old oil when it gushed out of the pan.  Got peace of mind now and will probably suck it out next two changes and kick the plug/pan issue into the long grass.  Somehow feel a bit uncomfortable drilling into the pan, swarf and all, and re-tapping or fitting a helicoil.  I know my technical limitations and it just wouldn't feel right.

Not for me to do anyway lying on the floor of my garage - I'll have a chat with my bike shop next mot and see what they think/quote for sorting it.

Dutch, just found this, it's an easy fix for your problem. Looks more complicated than it really is, helicoil's nowadays are not what they used to be and they last longer than the part they are in to, stainless steel will never rot nor will it need redoing.

Read this part about how to remove the sump with minimal effort and cost. http://www.fj1200.info/tipsfixes.html

Just a thought mate.

Find the PO and shoot them!!

Those things are only meant to go up to about 10ft/lb max - just enough to crush the crush washer, but many owners have overtightened and stripped the threads. The common practice of putting a few drops of engine oil on the plug threads is what throws the torque settings off and so people go higher than they should.

Apparently teflon string is a favoured option for fixing into damaged threads. If you want to use a helicoil, the thread size is 14 x 1.5

Failing that, you could fit a new sump pan...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online