Rounded Oil Plug

Grouch
This post is 2595 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
3 hours ago, Grouch said:

Tried it and ended up snapping the lips off. Really starting to annoy me now. The problem is the plug is so brittle you can't use the required force. Ideally it needs to be removed with a socket or mole grips. The impact driver method seems good but can't risk whacking it even a bit. The problem is now the oil needs changing badly so I need to sort it asap. 

Why does the oil need changing so badly. Anything worth using will safely do 1000's of miles. So long as there is oil in there you have no scorching hurry.

I'm assuming its just over the respective change period, that's like the sell by date on tinned food, largely to cover the manufacturers arse with a change interval so short. You could run it on a salt pan at max rpm without problems. How long has it actually  been in there and what mileage has it done.

Its good to change it but doing bigger damage from getting antsy with it is not helpful.

It just seems to have been in there for ages. Well over a year. Maybe I am being a bit melodramatic. 

I really like the idea of welding things to it but hopefully it won't get to that. I've just ordered one of these http://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/2856

Just hope it works and doesn't turn out to be a POS gimmick waste of cash.

I shouldnt worry. 

12hp is not going to destroy the oil anytime soon. The black in the oil is dust from the clutch not engine gunk.

That isnt metalic so will do nothing.

The oil will be fine.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2016 at 5:01 PM, Cynic said:

I shouldnt worry. 

12hp is not going to destroy the oil anytime soon. The black in the oil is dust from the clutch not engine gunk.

That isnt metalic so will do nothing.

The oil will be fine.

14hp actually :) 

• Like 1

Maybe with fresh oil :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cynic said:

Maybe with fresh oil :P

That's a slippery comment :lol:     .............  get it ....  slippery.... lubricate? .... gets coat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DutchFJ1200 said:

That's a slippery comment :lol:     .............  get it ....  slippery.... lubricate? .... gets coat

Whale Oil Beef Hooked

Well I've tried everything, even those multi-sockets. Nothing's worked. I'm putting it to the back of my mind though. I/ve changed the oil and filter so the damned thing can stay there for now. I just tipped bike on it's side and drained the oil that way.

• Like 1

That'll keep you rolling while you decide how to sort it . Do you know anyone who could drill it out for you and clean up the thread  after ?   That'd be my next step Grouch ,  although one of  the others will probably be along with  a better solution for your problem .  Keep us posted .

Me?

If it really wont budge, drill and tap a drain in the case you remove to change the filter.

That sidecase is easy to modify it as its removable without too much headache, a nice 10 or 12mm set screw at the lowest easily accessible point, use a stainless allen headed one and cut a clean thread and your all fixed for peanuts.

• Like 1

My 2 cents,

I've had problems like this with nuts and bolts many times. I always cut a slot through the middle of what's left off the head of the nut with the small angle grinder on my dremel, and than start tapping it with a shizzle or flat screwdriver and a hammer. Offcourse make sure you tap at the most outer side of the slot to maximize momentum.

In more extreme cases you can do the same but first grind away the head of the bolt and than grind a slot in whats left of the machined bolt. You know all the torque is stored as pressure between the head of the bolt and the surface under that. Once the head of the bolt is grinded away, normally the pressure is relieved, and the rest of the machined screw will just come out no problem at all.

Edit: Don't be discouraged i've been there. But if you still have the head of the bolt I'm about 99% sure you can get the bolt out with this technique, especially the oil plug nut. Every motorcycle enthousiast has his or hers first bolt/nut that seems impossibly stuck. It will not be your last :p, you WILL get used to it :p!

I think that's the route I will go down but before I get a grinder on it I've one last shot.............

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/bolt-grip---5piece-set-609676?_$ja=tsid:49590|cid:320624896|agid:13855220056|tid:pla-171773234416|crid:82730413456|nw:g|rnd:17694532068159857463|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CP6-0vfW8M0CFcFAGwodIroLAg

Hopefully these will do the trick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tommy xs said:

Done mine Grouchy these worked for me http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381660216990?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

very handy with your track record :P

looks a good bit of kit