Rounded Oil Plug

Grouch
This post is 2603 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After being quoted £180 for a service I decided to do it myself. I've done everything apart from changing the oil and filter. I've gone to unscrew the plug and it has rounded. It was ridiculously brittle. The oil needs changing badly so I need to do it asap. I just want to know all the options before I tackle it. There must be a few other methods I don't know about. At the moment I'm thinking that I should grind a grove in the middle of it and unscrew it out with a screwdriver? Not sure what I should do?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

depends where it is?

in future |I recommend an 8 sided socket as opposed to the multi sided ones.

Have you tried forcing a imperial socket on there?

otherwise you can file the flats down to take a smaller socket

• Like 1

For a quick fix see if you can get your hands one one of those vacuum oil scavenging pumps.

Warm up oil, tube down the fill hole, suck, suck, suck,  for the last bit lean bike over a bit.

May not get all the gremlins from the bottom of the pan but better than running with oil past its shelf life.

Gives you options to think how to tackle the shot plug

• Like 1

You take the side case off for the filter( i think) You can drain it then.

Need to be carefull and may be messy without somebody to keep the bike leaned over.

But it will drain the oil.

• Like 2

All the above are good ideas Grouch and well done on tackling the job yourself mate. If you can grip the oil drain nut and it's had it anyway then try a good pair of mole grips and just take your time. Good luck.

Cheers guys. I feel better knowing that as a last resort I can always drain the oil via the filter or tip the bike on its side. Ideally I want to get the plug off so I think I will try file it down and try get another socket on it. 

• Like 1

Slice beat me to it. Mole grips.

But before you do make sure you have a replacement sump plug and washer.

Mike.

If the mole grips fail , saw a slot in the head of the bolt and use an impact screwdriver to crack it off . Very handy tool for about ten quid .  You can lay the bike on it's side on a couple of car tyres to make the bolt easier to get at . Best of luck .

3 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

If the mole grips fail , saw a slot in the head of the bolt and use an impact screwdriver to crack it off . Very handy tool for about ten quid .  You can lay the bike on it's side on a couple of car tyres to make the bolt easier to get at . Best of luck .

Not discounting what you say Kev but hitting the cr*p out of the bottom of an oil pan ?

Angle grind two good flat edges on opposite sides of the fubared nut and a big (close fitting) shifter will do the rest.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:13 PM, drewpy said:

depends where it is?

in future |I recommend an 8 sided socket as opposed to the multi sided ones.

Have you tried forcing a imperial socket on there?

otherwise you can file the flats down to take a smaller socket

Pedantic mode on...

Socket should be six sides (Hexagon)

Pedantic mode off...

:P

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DutchFJ1200 said:

Not discounting what you say Kev but hitting the cr*p out of the bottom of an oil pan ?

Angle grind two good flat edges on opposite sides of the fubared nut and a big (close fitting) shifter will do the rest.

You dont have to whang the crap out of it , one smart tap usually does the job . 

• Like 1

Tried the mole grip method and it's not working. The plug is not a standard nut guys http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-WR-125-ALL-MODELS-OIL-DRAIN-PLUG-AND-OIL-O-RING-KIT-GENUINE-1S7E535100-/262171895709?hash=item3d0aa9a79d:g:IKwAAOSwv-NWXuYg

I have a new one just going to keep trying everynight after work.

another way is to LIGHTLY tap using a pin hammer and centre punch the outer edge of the plug.

You are undoing the nut anticlockwise aren't you?

Yep what Drewpy said, use the flanges on the nut as a bearing point and tap it till it moves DON'T WANG THE SHIT OUT OF IT !!!!

Remember RIGHTY TIGHTY LEFTY LOOSEY.

Tried it and ended up snapping the lips off. Really starting to annoy me now. The problem is the plug is so brittle you can't use the required force. Ideally it needs to be removed with a socket or mole grips. The impact driver method seems good but can't risk whacking it even a bit. The problem is now the oil needs changing badly so I need to sort it asap. 

who lives local to you?

put location down and maybe a member can come round and help?

You're not on yer own here Grouch I've got the same problem I'm hoping drewpy can weld an old spanner or something  similar to it as I don't want to fuck it any more than I already have 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy xs said:

You're not on yer own here Grouch I've got the same problem I'm hoping drewpy can weld an old spanner or something  similar to it as I don't want to fuck it any more than I already have 

I'm out Saturday Tommy and Sunday is the missus Birthday.
will see about next week although I have a feeling that I have 3 weddings that weekend

• Like 1