Head removal.

Variomatic
This post is 3036 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've spend the last 3 hours trying to get the engine out of the bike, every single fucking bolt holding the bike in is totally stuck in the bike, WD40, physical violence, high heat and a lot of time didn't get them out. As far as I can tell this engine is stuck solid in the frame. 

Any tips?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How come you say head removal ,,if its the engine ,  are you shure you"ve  got ALL the bolts,  :rolleyes:

I assume you are using a decent enough wrench where possible, and you have mentioned using heat/oil. Not sure what else to suggest. I did have a very hard time getting bolts off of my YBR. In the end i had to drill them out and replace, which is obviously not ideal

3 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

How come you say head removal ,,if its the engine ,  are you shure you"ve  got ALL the bolts,  :rolleyes:

*sigh* Engine out, engine inside where I can feel my fingers, fix engine, engine back in bike. And yes I'm awake of bolt locations, I'm not a retard. The problem is that none of them will come out. 

And yeah Malleus, decent set of wrenches/sockets, lot's of penetrating oil and heat. The ideal solution seems to be to just leave the engine in the frame and do it within the confines of the bike. Looks like I'll be sitting in the cold for a long while. 

• Like 1

Ah " got yeh , the engines out,   you should have slackened them when engine in frame, ,,  just like if your doing a water pump, [ car] losen pully bolt Before removing the belt, ,,:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Ah " got yeh , the engines out,   you should have slackened them when engine in frame, ,,  just like if your doing a water pump, [ car] losen pully bolt Before removing the belt, ,,:rolleyes:

Not quite got me yet, the engine is still in the frame, the head bolts are easy. The engine is in the frame but the engine mount bolts won't come out.

Ah,  nuts off, but bolts seized in frame/engine ,,<_<.  now that is a bitch, , the best penetrating oil . is, ATF/ACITONE, .  mixed,

but I think your gonna have to drift them out, . I would buy a spare set , as there gonna get chewed, .,leave the nuts on a few threads . see if they shift, .then spray in fluid at other end, tap back and forth , slowly,you"l need a steel bar [ punch] slightly smaller,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Ah,  nuts off, but bolts seized in frame/engine ,,<_<.  now that is a bitch, , the best penetrating oil . is, ATF/ACITONE, .  mixed,

but I think your gonna have to drift them out, . I would buy a spare set , as there gonna get chewed, .,leave the nuts on a few threads . see if they shift, .then spray in fluid at other end, tap back and forth , slowly,you"l need a steel bar [ punch] slightly smaller,

I really can't afford to fuck about with this, I'm gonna try some bigger tools and more torque, if that chews the head of the nut, the grinder and the drill will come out. Every other bolt on the bike is fine, but these motherfucking mounting bolts, Jesus Christ I need a new bike.

That's the way, on my FJ the engine bolts were welded to the engine and the frame with corrosion, the only way is to heat them till they glow and wind the fuckers off as best you can. I did try heat and cold shock on them, didn't seem to make much of a difference really, I ended up chopping the ends off and drilling them in stages till I got them loose enough to move. The only time I was really careful was when I drilled the engine casing parts as they can break off if your to rough. Good luck and have at it.

• Like 1

Ive spent days in the past removing siezed bolts. I know youre stuck for time, but ive always found Plusgas the best release agent, soaked the bolts over a few days, tried turning them both clockwise and anti a touch at a time, heat then soak again. If you do get them to start to move, turn them back an forth and oil them as you undo

• Like 2

UPDATE 

After probably damaging my torque wrench (beam type so likely ok) by using it as a 1.5ft breaker bar I managed to get every single engine mount bolt undone. Hoever, right at the bottom in the rear there is one bolt, one fucking bolt, the nut has come undone, but the bolt is stuck in the engine, and through the frame, so, now the engine is hanging from the frame by one bolts that's rusted in. Also it's so rusted in, after putting about 100ft-LB of torque though it it's still stuck solid, and rounded. Thankfully it's not threaded into the engine so it's a case of hitting it hard enough on the other end. 

I'm so close, and at the same time I want to burn this metal bastard to the ground. Thanks for so much help guys. Without this forum my bike would have been scrap long ago. If I ever buy a new bike, every single nut and bolt is gonna have a coat of silicone before it sees the road. 

• Like 1

That's good news mate but just be careful when you whang the shit out of this bolt that the engine casing don't crack, if it's really welded in there your going to have to be patient. As above try plusgas and anything else you an think of to penetrate into the corrosion, heat it up but be aware that the casing can actually melt if you hold the torch on to long, I bet the problem is inside the casing and not the frame mounts, worst case you could cut the frame mounts off and then weld them back on after you get it free, bit extreme but might be your only shot if all else fails, if your not that good at welding your local engineers will do it for you for a few quid. Remember the bigger the hammer the more you need to repair afterwards. Keep going your so close mate.

• Like 1

As Slice states, you may damage the engine casing. If you can cut through the bolt at the inboard side of the frame lugs that will allow you to get the engine in a better position to remove whats left of the bolt

Look up Galvanic Corrosion on t'web to get a better idea of what happened

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Variomatic said:

UPDATE 

After probably damaging my torque wrench (beam type so likely ok) by using it as a 1.5ft breaker bar I managed to get every single engine mount bolt undone. Hoever, right at the bottom in the rear there is one bolt, one fucking bolt, the nut has come undone, but the bolt is stuck in the engine, and through the frame, so, now the engine is hanging from the frame by one bolts that's rusted in. Also it's so rusted in, after putting about 100ft-LB of torque though it it's still stuck solid, and rounded. Thankfully it's not threaded into the engine so it's a case of hitting it hard enough on the other end. 

I'm so close, and at the same time I want to burn this metal bastard to the ground. Thanks for so much help guys. Without this forum my bike would have been scrap long ago. If I ever buy a new bike, every single nut and bolt is gonna have a coat of silicone before it sees the road. 

what about using an air chisel without the chisel bit. just pound it out that way.
Just make sure you dont peen over the end

otherwise its spark erosion

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drewpy said:

what about using an air chisel without the chisel bit. just pound it out that way.
Just make sure you dont peen over the end

otherwise its spark erosion

Great news, managed to get the entire bike into the house, remove the right hand head bolts, the left hand bolts wouldn't come all the way out BUT cleared the cylinder (just) so I could get out out that way. In other words, the head is off, as is the piston and cylinder, but the engines in the bike still. 

So the problem is solved, all I've got to do is hope I can get the thing back together again

• Like 2