Price to fix bike

Dee
This post is 3117 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm new to this and to bikes really. I have a 09 ybr 125 and drove  it for a year. I lost the keys and left it parked up for a year ( I know stupid!) I had a mechanic pick it up to get a new set of keys and it turns out the clocks are smashed. The guy in the garage says its €600 for a new set of clocks and €150 for keys and another €150 for battery and service. I think this is a little excessive when the clocks are on eBay for €50.

Is this guy taking me for a ride because I'm a noob at this (and a girl) or does this sound about right??

He wants to buy it off me for €250 as scrap. I just don't know.

any info would be greatly appreciated 

image.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What did you pay for it.

Whats the milage.

Whats broke.

£150 for servicing a ybr is a bit salty even including a battery. Sounds like he's taking the piss to me.

Or has somebody who wants a ybr and thinks your daft enough to take the offer. 250 plus a 20 quid battery some oil and he could be making maybe 500quid for not much.

Sorry saw this and could not resist getting involved, as Cynic say's £150 for a service and battery is a bit OTT, new set of clocks, yeah right I can see him doing that for £600, used set off ebay or such would cost about £50and you only need the Taco and surround as the speedo looks ok. Set of keys will be expensive so buy a set from a broken bike for half the price! As above again broken YBRs are fetching good money so say politely "no thank you" and watch the price he offers go up!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, I had a bad feeling about him but he came recommended. I paid €1,500 for it.There was 15,000 miles on it when I bought it. When I told him I might park it up for awhile he said he sourced cheaper clicks and dropped the price €300, so €600 in total. He keeps telling its too much to fix and he'll by it as scrap. 

That 300 came off fast. 

That is the first offer. The fact that he keeps on the scrap line means he has a buyer. He priced high for you to give it up as a loss.

Can you walk away?

Take your bike back. Look on ebay and find a set of clocks (ask here if they'll fit if you have no other help) and buy them for about £30. We will give you a step by step guide to switching them over. Same with the ignition switch

• Like 2

You can use a "generic" ignition switch, don't have to be YAMAHA, but your going to need a bod that knows how to bolt stuff on and off, these are all easy jobs but not for the novice, you can do them but needs lots of patience from the folks on line trying to describe what they need you to do without everyone getting their knickers in a twist. It might help if you said where you were in the UK, assume you are in the UK? Anywho we are all over the map on this site some in London lots up north and a few like me west country,, Wales is well represented as is Scotland and Ireland, so if you don't mind a complete stranger turning up and banging away at the needed repairs to your bike ! We like to help out noobs cos we were noobs once to. So if you have no objection to adding where you are in the world to your profile some kind soul will help out if he or she can. Oh make it known that axe murderers and assorted nere do wells will not be offered a cup of tea and a cake for helping out !!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tell him to shove his service up his ass, he's taking you for a ride, find a new mechanic. Buy a Haynes manual and learn to fix things yourself, you'll save hundreds or maybe thousands over the lifetime of the bike. Or if you really want to go to a mechanic, look around for a new one. 

Admittedly the parts he'll use aint eBay crap, he'll (probably) use genuine Yamaha parts which are expensive

• Like 1

150? LOL, I pay for my xvs950a  max 118 pounds some services ago... with all items included: oil, oil filter, plugs, rear break pads+ fitting rear tyre. last service I pay just 60 because I come with the oil, brake pads, sprks, filter... and that price include the fiting of rear tyre. so, ignore him. no matters what offer he will come with next time and next 20 times 600 pounds for a clock? lol. is golden plated?

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online