2 Stroke Pollution

pilninggas
This post is 3044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just bought myself an RG250 Gamma: looks a but scruffy, but feels as tight as a post christmas waist band. Can't wait to get out on it - i'd forgotten how smooth multicylinder 2 strokes were (last one I had was a 350 YPVS, which i sold in 2000).

Will put new plugs in and change the gearbox oil - anything else i need to remember.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
14 minutes ago, pilninggas said:

Just bought myself an RG250 Gamma: looks a but scruffy, but feels as tight as a post christmas waist band. Can't wait to get out on it - i'd forgotten how smooth multicylinder 2 strokes were (last one I had was a 350 YPVS, which i sold in 2000).

Will put new plugs in and change the gearbox oil - anything else i need to remember.

Nothing beats the smell of 2 stroke! :D 

• Like 2

Gamma isn't too bad apart from being tiny and spectacularly uncomfortable unless your just as tiny, obviously they are even better with a 350 on board. Its the RGV that really takes the piss, eating its self at random intervals. 

Just the std stay 1000rpm off the red line unless you really need it, don't choke it with 4stroke/car driving attitudes and actively strive to upset bigger bikes, that last one is law, honest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Gamma isn't too bad apart from being tiny and spectacularly uncomfortable unless your just as tiny, obviously they are even better with a 350 on board. Its the RGV that really takes the piss, eating its self at random intervals. 

Just the std stay 1000rpm off the red line unless you really need it, don't choke it with 4stroke/car driving attitudes and actively strive to upset bigger bikes, that last one is law, honest.

Is the 'stay off of the redline', simply because power tails off fast?

I'm 5'6" and it felt pretty good to me - no less cramped than a ton of other bikes I've owned/ridden; it ain't my FZ1 though which is super roomy, but weighs a [1/4] tonne.

yep, falls off fast, read gone as fast as it arrives. Resist the temptation to flog it to the last rpm and shift before the power dies, its also good practice as modern fuel makes the bike much, much, more likely to hole a piston.

I recommend non ethanol fuels. Its all I put in mine. (you save the extra in mpg oddly). 

Lol, yeah I'm 6ft2 and its a squeeze for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cynic said:

yep, falls off fast, read gone as fast as it arrives. Resist the temptation to flog it to the last rpm and shift before the power dies, its also good practice as modern fuel makes the bike much, much, more likely to hole a piston.

I recommend non ethanol fuels. Its all I put in mine. (you save the extra in mpg oddly). 

Lol, yeah I'm 6ft2 and its a squeeze for me.

I was looking at TDRs (there are a few jdm units for sale atm), after seeing yours at Squires years ago, but I'd need a step ladder to ride one. The only TZR250 (1ma) I saw sold before I got ot it - shame as I would have fitted on it. YPVS' are commanding big money now.

It'll be interesting to ride it properly, it certainly pulled well on the, ahem, private test area I trialled it on. I'm used to not over-revving to mitigate valve-bounce (not that you really can with ignition cut and not that it happens due to light valve assemblies), but remember all the strokers I had previously being sweet something like 7k-9k.

• Like 1

Sure? There is only 25mm diff in the seat height to your FZ.

yep, gets going at 6 ish and all finished by 9500, unless they have been tweaked but that is not always good. Like TDR250 stock cranks are only good to 60hp if in really good fettle. Set of pipes, pv remap and a filter will get you that.

• Like 1

That big Kwak750 I had,    power rush began at 4k and was gone at 6k,   it was a big gush :rolleyes: ,but how lazy is that

• Like 1

The power rush of a 70's 750 matched by the 80's 250. That's progress, 2016 600's are not 60% better than the 2006 bikes. We need another R1 moment.

Gamma is ok, comparable to the Rd if ridden right. Its the RGV that has the pv falling out of the cyl head.

1 hour ago, drewpy said:

gamma sounds a hoot, they are a  bit fragile though.

any pictures?

I'll stick some up tomorrow.

Are they any more fragile than any other performance 2 smoke? reading some of their forums, they seem to be largely reliable.

depends on what you do to them I suppose and how much maintenance you heap upon it :)

6 hours ago, Cynic said:

Gamma is ok, comparable to the Rd if ridden right. Its the RGV that has the pv falling out of the cyl head.

As said, comparable to the RD. But is essential sportier than the RD. Loses out power wise to the TZR quite badly, hence the RGV that replaced it which aces the TZR on power but pays for it in extreme engine behaviour and race track reliability.

It will need work far more often than the FZ but  you can get 15K from a set of pistons, more if you change the rings early enough. I would suggest unless you have history a strip down for a lookie see would be worthwhile, would have saved me a rebuild. As you could be lucky like I was and have it only affect the upper cyl, if you lose a piston skirt into the cases its the full banana strip and rebuild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cynic said:

As said, comparable to the RD. But is essential sportier than the RD. Loses out power wise to the TZR quite badly, hence the RGV that replaced it which aces the TZR on power but pays for it in extreme engine behaviour and race track reliability.

It will need work far more often than the FZ but  you can get 15K from a set of pistons, more if you change the rings early enough. I would suggest unless you have history a strip down for a lookie see would be worthwhile, would have saved me a rebuild. As you could be lucky like I was and have it only affect the upper cyl, if you lose a piston skirt into the cases its the full banana strip and rebuild.

I will pull the top end in the next few weeks and have a look see - do a visual for nipping and do a bit of measuring and wobbling.

I am under no illusions, it ain't no FZ1, but equally it doesn't have the 20 valve clearance check either; swings and roundabouts. I would love an RGV, but prices are just a tad too salty for my liking, I couldn't justify that expense, the gamma is still not ludicrous money and will still hold it's value (or appreciate slowly).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drewpy said:

looks ok in that grainy photo.

should be lots of fun

yeah, not sure why my phone was so grainy - must take some more.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online