DT125R Starting Problems

gruntus
This post is 6563 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I have a DT125R (approx 1992) that I bought non running for use a s a field bike.

I have put the bike together and now having problems starting.

I had to replace the CDI unit which is now working fine, I have put in a new plug and get a good spark with the plug out (earthed properly!!) the compression in the piston is good.

The exhast is fitted and so is the airbox/filter

I noticed the original carb had a pilot screw missing so I replaced the carb with one that I have been told worked fine on the previous bike.

When kicked over the bike will start but idles very slowly for about 10-15 revolutions then stops.

I can get it to start again with another kick but if I give it any throttle at all it peters out.

Push starting I get nothing at all and I definately have a good supply of fuel to the carb (I have an open ended plastic bowl/resevoir connected to the fuel pipe. I can see the fuel going down after a number of starts.

I am unable to say what the crank seals are like howver there is a great deal of induction noise when kicked over.

Any idea what the problem could be? I would be gratefull of any help, I have seen plenty of previous posts but nobody has posted replies to say what fixed it!! :rolleyes:

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Regards,

G

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Few of things,

Is the choke on?

Is the 'idle jet' clean, are you positive the carb was clean.

Is the carb set up for idle, right number of turns on the airscrew etc...

Few of things,

Is the choke on?

Is the 'idle jet' clean, are you positive the carb was clean.

Is the carb set up for idle, right number of turns on the airscrew etc...

Hi JimJam,

Thanks for the reply but I have fixed the problem. The engine was four stroking and everyone asked me if the timing was out and I was quick to reply that the timing couldn't be adjusted.

The only thing I could think of was the source coil breaking down and hence pulled off the rotor to change the source coil and discovered that there was no woodruff key fitted to the crankshaft!!! :o

This obviously means the rotor was not in the correct position on the crank and hence the timing was off after all.......

Pleased to say however that I fitted a new woodruff key (and hence the timing is now correct) and it started on the first kick!! :D

Had a quick run over the fields yesterday and it goes like a bomb! :D:D

Thanks again for replying.

Best regards,

Gruntus

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online