Yamaha XS250 starting problems

YDS7Paul
This post is 3220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all I am new to this forum and have a 1978 XS250. The bike is a runner but difficult to start, It spent 6 weeks in a m/c repair shop having the voltage regulator changed and the carbs sonic cleaned along with some other diagnostic work. Eventually I just collected it as they were unable to find the starting fault and suggested new carbs. The bike it seems at some point had 400 barrels and pistons fitted. The carbs are as far as I can tell still 250 original. I have stripped and cleaned them and had the sonic cleaned but still have starting issues. Since collecting the bike I have spent quite a lot of time myself stripping, cleaning and setting up the carbs, also checking and replacing the plugs and checking the compression which was very good. Is this something you may be able to help with please.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi paul... drewpy is the XS guru,,,  some bike shop that 6 weeks,,,,and not  firing ,  :eusa_think: ,,,if i were them , I wudda stuck on another set of carbs , to illiminate  that theory ,,,

You"l be jimmys pal,,,    another bonnie  on board,  :welcome:

• Like 1

Hi Paul welcome to YOC this is the new members welcome section, basically to introduce yourself, it would better to post this in the workshop section you'll more responce

Welcome to the nut house mate, and owning a frigging xs250 you deserve to be in it............

Only kidding bud, I'm sure the boys on here will get it sorted. If this forum was about in 1980-82 I probably wouldn't have an inbuilt disgust of the 250......Give us some pics of your Bonnie, go on go on

I loved my xs250 

:biglaugha:....:secret:   slowest 250 of the 1970"s   ....  even the MZ250  Was quicker .  and more reliable,,:icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 1

:biglaugha:....:secret:   slowest 250 of the 1970"s   ....  even the MZ250  Was quicker .  and more reliable,,:icon_cheesygrin:

mine was 81 and it was a bit faster than my mates 250 superdream

Hi Paul welcome to YOC this is the new members welcome section, basically to introduce yourself, it would better to post this in the workshop section you'll more responce

He did post in the workshop section, committed the grievous forum sin (in my opinion) of copy and paste.

nil points.

Nope, posting an intro question in the workshop and then saying you will go and introduce yourself is fine. Just pasting your original post in my opinion is a bit naff. TBH, if Dirty had seen it even money says it would have been locked.

Just read through this ha I posted in the wrong area by mistake then copied it to the correct area where some members helped me greatly. Am I missing something ?

Pic of my bonnie arriving, look different now.

IMG_0739b.jpg

Its just a pet hate of mine, yours wasn't a biggy as you have hardly got your answer and cleared off. I think an introduction should be just that,

'Hi I'm Bob from the midlands, like customs good with the spanners, just got myself an xs' type of thing.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online