1982 xj750 spark issue

tc862011
This post is 3204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know quite a bit about bikes but I need some additional minds on this one, working on my buddies bike, it was running fine the night he put it away and the next day wouldn't start so I started diagnosing, I charged the battery, it is a brand new am battery that has been working just fine, the bike is getting spark on the 2 middle cylinders but the only time it gets spark on the two out side ones is randomly as soon  as I let go of the the starter button, but not everytime just randomly as soon as I let go of the starter button. I switch the coils and the problem follow but I was able to get it started on 2 cylinders that way, the coils are fine I confirmed that, I ohm tested the pickup coils but I am a little rusty at that so I would appreciate a crash course in doing it again to make sure I am doing it the right way.i am thinking the cdi has let go on that side of the spark but not sure how to test that, I never had a cdi o bad on a bike. I am hoping that it isn't cause they are expensive for a used one, I don't think you can find new ones. I have come across a thread that had the same exact symptoms but didn't post an end result any help is appreciated thanks

theo 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online