Project T.U.R.D

wild foamy
This post is 3093 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Most people go on holiday and bring back crappy souvenirs like t-shirts with "I <3 NY" on them, or a plastic version of the eiffel tower, maybe even a snowglobe with a tiny little castle in it... But I figured I may aswell bring back something I'd be able to have fun with.

So, ladles and tablespoons, let me introduce to you... 'Tiny Urban Road Demon'

It's a Yamaha LB80 Chappy, picked it up off craigslist from California, had the offer of two of them but due to space limitations on getting it home I could only take one, so I got the one on the right.

needs a bit of TLC but runs decent enough, plan is to use it for getting around the airbase and local area back home, then give it the same treatment as the DT50 and strip, sandblast and repaint everything then maybe hang it on the wall or something.

00Y0Y_gAijv2JBYZ5_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did you pack it as hand luggage Foams? Just right for the airfield mate but your going to look a tit up the high street :biglaugha:

Most people go on holiday and bring back crappy souvenirs

And this is different?

• Like 2

Did you pack it as hand luggage Foams? Just right for the airfield mate but your going to look a tit up the high street :biglaugha:

I don't have to use it on the high street, handlebars folded down and even with my tiny muscles it fits in the boot of a rented chevy tahoe. 

DSC_0246_zpsfx82r66a.jpg

And this is different?

have you ever known me to buy anything sensible?...

the 'fun' part will be getting it registered, for the sake of this theoretical exercise, let's say that one day it 'disappears' from over here, and 'reappears' over there, without ever being on a ship, or going through a US or UK port.

Registering it with the DVLA shouldn't be too much of an issue as I have its original registration certificate as proof of manufactured date, but before I get it registered I need to contact HMRC ( who will no doubt want to have a grab at anything they can get out of me, which is going to be VAT and import duties), now they will probably also want to see a shipping invoice or something (which I won't have, because it appeared by magic). I basically have a hand written receipt from the guy I bought it from, it's US registration and nothing else.

Edited by wild foamy

Would love to be a fly on the wall when you go through customs. And the scan you luggage and you have to try explain why you got a little scoot scoot in your suitcase.

that should be an interesting conversation lol 

I'm reluctant to explain the process, until it has actually happened.

If you were a fly on the wall in just our teabar we'd all have probably been locked up by now!

Should be an interesting rebuild once its back over the pond let hope its not going to end up like the Turbo build which i think is a few years past its due date, o not including all the other builds that could have been finished by now ha-ha :popcorn:

• Like 1

Yeah, the Turbo is still there, just very very much on the back burner... Part of my problem is I don't have space to store it when it's all up together, and I don't want to leave it in the car park :/

The DT50 and this chappy aren't so bad, they are small and light and I can tuck them up in the corner well out of the way.

• Like 1

Looks just about like the yamaha chappy I just found.  I was curious if you could do me a huge favor.  Can you post a picture of the oil tank.  There is a hose that is disconnected on mine.  I think its a vacuum hose, or maybe just an over flow.  It has a curved metal part that goes into a rubber boot on top the oil tank and then I'm not sure where the hose runs to or where it connects.  Thanks for your help!

RD

It would be easier if you can send me a pic of what you've found, I've got a parts list book aswell which might help you

Guest RD Evans

Here is a picture.  Its the hose i am holding that goes into the oil tank on the lower left as looking at the picture.  Thanks!

Your chappy is in much better shape then mine.  Looks great!

1.jpg

Not sure if mine is a different model, but I can't see anything going into the tank on the lower left... There are two rubber 'locating damper's which might be the thing you're holding?

Guest RD Evans

Part number 6 in the diagram.  Not the end that goes into 11 and then into 10, but the other end.

Ugh, massive spanner in the works!..

Can't ship it home air cargo as it's classed as dangerous goods because it's had fuel/oil through it...

Need to get it on a pallet and ship it back, anyone know the best way to do this? 

Think the best way is to ring up the closest port and see about speaking to a shipping company and find out the costs and what the legal paperwork is needed (bound to be some form of red tape bullshit you need to fill out first)

They may even crate her up for you too at extra cost.

The wife used to work for UPS controlling the night air freight to Coventry Airport and I just asked her.

Anything carried by air has to meet Civil Aviation material regulations. Under air hazard regulations even 1 drop of hazardous material makes something hazardous depending on specific material classifications. Your engine, suspension, gearbox, battery as a minimum make it hazardous. Even as separate parts

It is possible to get vehicles approved for air freight but it will cost,A LOT. It would need to jump through a lot of hoops  to even get close.

On a ship the time it takes will affect what it costs. If you send it as groupage with an international carrier it will be cheap but it will come in a container with god knows what else, god knows how long,(could be well over 6 mths if going deep sea) kept somewhere on the ship, (don't forget they lose containers in storms).

Up to you but a proper vehicle transport company that im/exports vehicles would be my choice. Or re list it on craigslist and by one at home.

Plan A: ship it home seafreight in am iso container with a load if stuff through work, I am currently waiting on an answer from the people who deal with that to see if they will take it.

Plan B: strip it down, take the non-hazardous parts back, ship the engine, forks and tanks back in a box (battery is toast anyway).

Plan C: bury it in the desert in a secret location, sort it out next year when I'm back.

Plan D: re-sell it on craigslist (booo!)

Edited by wild foamy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online