Which bike next?

Katie1
This post is 3218 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, have decided to get rid of the Benelli Trek and now have my eye on:

Triumph Tiger 800

Honda Crossrunner 800

Honda CBR600F (new version)

Anyone have experience with any of those (Bippo :) ) that they'd care to share?

And yes, I know the Crossrunner looks like a jetski in pictures, I haven't seen one in the flesh yet!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How tall are you. ?

175cm / 5 '9

Long legs but not much in the way of beer belly to keep the suspension compressed :eusa_shifty: Going for 825mm maximum seat height

Ooh, new bike time...!

Well I liked my Tiger - would have kept it if I could of afforded too. But alas, the Street was considerably less effort when I was working in Central London.

I've heard good things about the updated Tiger - better fuel consumption, and a few minor things sorted like the ridiculous heat that used to hit your right leg in traffic. Plus they have different specs now, so depending on how much you want to spend you could pick one up with heated seats, pannier racks and fog lights as standard.

I'm 5' 8" and like you have quite long legs. I had the Roadie version which came in at 810mm, adjustable to 830mm. Mine was on the high setting and it was fine. I think men tend to have shorter legs then us, as a lot of people the same height would get it lowered.

The bad parts?

- Far too many accessories in the adventure bike market. How the hell is a woman supposed to choose?! Wouldn't recommend the OEM plastic top box or panniers though. My top box came free but it's incredibly heavy and small due to the thick walls. Go for something like Givi.

- The stock adventure screen (taller one that's fitted to most as standard). Too many variables in that one but it brings in one of the biggest complaints. For me it was fine but significantly improved with a little deflector at the top resulting in being able to ride on the motorway with visor up.

- Suspension on the Roadie. Much better on the XC. May be ok for you if you're lacking a beer belly. Sadly, with mine it would chuck me about considerably on the re-bound. I got used to it though and now pine for it compared with what the Street offers!

- Not really something that bothers me, but service costs are a little steep. Another one that people whinge about on the Tiger forum. You'd think they didn't research the bike they buy?!

- If you get a centre stand, most people with them claim they can't use them or have to opt for some weird and wonderful approaches to getting it up (oi, oi...). This worried me, but actually it was completely fine. If I can do it, surely anyone can.

- I had to be careful where I parked up. If the ground cambered a little too much in the direction of the side stand then it was difficult for me to pull it upright again. Although not a heavy bike (version I had was the same weight as an XJ6), it's a very top heavy bike. You do get used too it, but was something always in the back of my mind as I'm no Popeye. Guessing your current bike is similar though so may not bother you.

The good parts?

- Definitely the engine. I hardly speak from experience but it's quite good fun and has ample torque.

- So easy to ride. Smooth gears, great engine and stability.

- Very basic suspension on the Roadie, but when set correctly, a pillion and / or luggage wasn't noticeable.

- Loads of space to lug stuff around, and ample tie down points. I do have a picture somewhere from a trip to my parents where I took holiday clothes (bro's wedding abroad), stuff I needed when staying at my parents, work gear and bike stuff (including a cover and heavy duty chain). I didn't have panniers so that all went on the back. Twas fine.

- Tends to get a good vote from pillions (grab rails are very well placed). I know a lot of couples on the Tiger forum who prefer to tour on the 800 instead of the 1200.

- Road presence. My dark and dreary winter commutes weren't a bother as people seemed to notice me. Lights are nice and high up and I witnessed more people moving out my way than I do on the ickle Street.

- The side stand is as tough as old boots. No worries about climbing onto the bike when it's on the stand. I have seen some reports of folks walking away from their Tiger after pulling up and it rolling off the stand. I'm sure for most it was user error. Through fear of something like that happening I instinctively leave my bikes in gear anyway.

Only did 12,000 miles out of mine in 11 months of ownership - but never had any issues and the dealer I use in Chesterfield have always treated me well.

I think that's all... Sure I've missed something, but you know I'm getting forgetful now I've hit 30, ha ha!

• Like 4

Long legs but not much in the way of beer belly to keep the suspension compressed :eusa_shifty:

God i got some image in my head, :facelick:

And Bippo your reviews should really go in MCN or something as they are always a great read. I didn't know you turned flirty 30!!

• Like 1

Brilliant review Bippo, thank you! Loads of really practical, useful info. Am looking at a 2014 model so hopefully won't have the worst of those things. I tend to like suspension on the firm side so that should be okay :)

You're right about the Benelli, pretty top heavy (just the bike sadly, not me, sorry Noise) but the Mille was the same so kinda used to that.

The problem with going on bike specific forums is that everyone on there loves their bike. I know that's a good sign but then they forget to mention things like non-safety cam chain tensioners that snap and rip the engine to pieces (Firestorm) :shakeno:

The only other option was a Yamaha (yay!) Tracer but waiting for that to have been a out for a while so I don't get to do the beta testing :eusa_snooty:

Thanks Noise - yep, turned 30 last weekend. Said goodbye to my 20's in style!

Kate - I remember a couple of other points...

- Stock rubber (Pirelli Scorpions) are ok, but I changed them for PR4's, and wow - what a transformation! Smoother on the road and much easier to tip in to bends.

- Pillion foot legs are part of the frame, resulting in some Tigers getting written off even in simple drops. I did drop mine once but luckily it was in an incredibly wet field, in December so zero damage (other than my pride).

- Something that's fixed in the latest model, but for some reason the chain guard is an inch too short meaning you can fling lube all over your luggage and pillion. I did ditch it for a longer version actually.

If you're looking for a 2014 model, just keep an eye out for signs of bubbling paint on the engine. Noticed that some would be affected by this but am not sure if it's a quality issue, or how they treat the bike. That said though, warranty claims from Triumph are usually pretty good and I've seen reports of people getting stuff like that sorted with zero to minimal hassle.

Thanks Noise - yep, turned 30 last weekend. Said goodbye to my 20's in style!

Kate - I remember a couple of other points...

- Stock rubber (Pirelli Scorpions) are ok, but I changed them for PR4's, and wow - what a transformation! Smoother on the road and much easier to tip in to bends.

- Pillion foot legs are part of the frame, resulting in some Tigers getting written off even in simple drops. I did drop mine once but luckily it was in an incredibly wet field, in December so zero damage (other than my pride).

- Something that's fixed in the latest model, but for some reason the chain guard is an inch too short meaning you can fling lube all over your luggage and pillion. I did ditch it for a longer version actually.

If you're looking for a 2014 model, just keep an eye out for signs of bubbling paint on the engine. Noticed that some would be affected by this but am not sure if it's a quality issue, or how they treat the bike. That said though, warranty claims from Triumph are usually pretty good and I've seen reports of people getting stuff like that sorted with zero to minimal hassle.

Warranty? What a strange concept.

Or is that just the result of years of riding Italian bikes? :eusa_think:

This should tell you something, most guys write a line, Bippo writes a book !! Oh and SHOPPING "Oooh new bike time" says it all really. :biglaugha:

Did like the write up tho Bipps.

• Like 1

You cheeky bugger, Slice! Mind you... You do have a point!!

• Like 1

Guy reviews: BIKE GOOD! or BIKE BAD!

Bippo Reviews: War and Peace.

You know, perhaps we should get a section here, somewhere, called "Bippo Reviews..." :D

• Like 1

Worryingly... I can provide Kate with yet MORE information?! This was my shortened version, ha ha!

Worryingly... I can provide Kate with yet MORE information?! This was my shortened version, ha ha!

Go for it!

Just to confirm the stereotype, feel free to tell me about the extras too :biglaugha:

Well... *rolls up sleeves*

Ha ha!

Okay, dilemma solved!

Short (especially for the boys) reviews of bike tested today:

Honda Crossrunner 2012 -

Sat on it in the shop, hugely bulky from the seat, position was like sitting in my grandads armchair, didn't bother taking it out! Personally, I quite liked the camouflage colours but was informed it was extremely un-lovely

CBR600F 2014 -

Much sportier than the old F, more like the 600FS. Easy to ride, could imagine commuting, touring or whatever on it. Very smooth acceleration and gearbox, great brakes, easy to steer. Enjoyed riding, enjoyed accelerating but closing the throttle just produced a slight diminishing of speed. Riding twins and triples is sooooo much more fun and giving up engine braking would be too dull for me.

Triumph Tiger XRX 2015 -

Hated it (sorry Bippo). Foot pegs were too far forward with a huge reach to the gear lever and the seat was the single most uncomfortable I've ever known (honestly, gave me arse ache after 5 minutes!). Fly by wire throttle response is great for people who like those arcade bikes but pretty shite if you like real roads, going over bumps etc. Cornering was horrible, the bike moved about ok but it felt like a real struggle - possibly down to the daft tyres (why make a 'not going off-road on this one' bike then put knobblies on it?). Also, it whined like a VFR

Aprilia Shiver 2012 -

May not have mentioned this one in the first list :eusa_shifty:

Took it out, rode around for 50 minutes on busy town, fast A road, fast twisties, tiny twisty country lanes (ok ok, I got lost!). Suspension is a bit cheap and gives a harsh feel at low speeds but works fabulously when you get going. Great, accurate throttle response (miles better than triple) and superb acceleration overtaking. Has a Puig screen which keeps (alleged) speeds of 85 down to a gentle draft. Comfortable seat, relaxed riding position. Comes complete with 12v socket, two fairing compartments, radiator screen and full R&G fittings. All I need is a Givi rack and it's ready for work and holidays.

Might not surprise you to hear that I bought the Aprilia :hyper: Will pick it up next weekend

Oh, the trade-in on my Benelli Trek 899 is only £3500 so if anyone wants to beat that before next Saturday, let me know!

Oh yeah, when I said 'short', I meant each bit, not the whole thing :eusa_whistle:

• Like 1