XJ6 Diversion Coolant

Lincol
This post is 3277 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, About to change coolant in my XJ6 Diversion 2010, I have found some Motorcycle Coolant on the well known auction site sold by Demon Tweaks and made by Castrol but before purchase I would like to know what others recommend/use.

Many Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can't really tell you what's best but my advice is look in the book/manual and buy what it says in there, best not to mess about with anything other than what the manufacturer recommends.

The book just states "1:1 Mixture Ratio", " High-quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminium engines". I wish it would recommend a brand. What do you guys use ?

Try this stuff if your really stuck for ideas, supposed to be excellent. http://www.mad4bikes.co.uk/workshop/oil-lubricants/coolants.html

Otherwise why not try this stuff, it's supposed to be great at keeping you engine cool, has a higher boiling point than plain water, and it is also supposed to remove any and all corrsion in the engine, makes it easier to sell if there is no water leaks. http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/products/1

just read about, silicate antifreeze for pre 2000 bikes and non silicate for the rest!

silicate = sand :eusa_think:

The search goes on !!

Local Yamaha dealer went with my Yamalube Coolant Idea (which is orange) which was fine but has raised the question as to whether the coolant change is really necessary. The colour of the coolant currently in the bike is blue and according to the supplying dealer who is multi franchised tells me it would have been Silkolene Pro cool.

Although the manual suggests changing after 3 years, do you guys consider a change is necessary, bike done 6000 mls from new. I guess if I change it I will use Silkolene Pro cool.

If you wanted to go the yamalube route, you could drain it first [how? dunno, but typically possible. Although, I should learn since I'm on an XJ6...]

With anything regarding bikes, if you're uncertain about something, it could be just as well to actually do it. Mainly because of the individual peace of mind it will give.

But if you're not having any temperature issues, I'd say there's not any explicit hurry. The dash will tell you if it's at "SHIT SHIT SHIT! Need coolant!!!" levels.

For comparison, I've yet to exceed 100C on mine [which is acceptable], and when riding, it's normally ~85C after the engine's warmed up.

The search goes on !!

Local Yamaha dealer went with my Yamalube Coolant Idea (which is orange) which was fine but has raised the question as to whether the coolant change is really necessary. The colour of the coolant currently in the bike is blue and according to the supplying dealer who is multi franchised tells me it would have been Silkolene Pro cool.

Although the manual suggests changing after 3 years, do you guys consider a change is necessary, bike done 6000 mls from new. I guess if I change it I will use Silkolene Pro cool.

its the anticorrosion qualities you need it for, not just as a coolant (just water would do then)

alloy corrodes as good as steel but furrs up

• Like 1

The search goes on !!

But don't Japanese bikes and cars always have blue coolant (a mate and I were discussing this a while back,). I changed the coolant in my FZ1 when I did the valve-job at Christmas. I just used the alloy friendly pink stuff that eurocarparts sell for £8/gallon. I don't get how bike coolant could be any better than a quality aluminium-engine compatible car coolant (unlike oil, which i'll avoid discussing!).

I'd just change the coolant according to the service sechedule, unless it has to come out for any other reason.

The following are the manual recommendations for my 20010 FZ6 Fazer S2:

Anti-freeze-water mix ratio - 1:1

Recommended anti freeze - High quality ethylene glycol anti freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminium engines

errr, same as in your manual

You should be able to pick that up in any decent motor factors, and if my memory is correct, its blue

Any antifreeze for Ali engines. 50% mixed with 50% water. Any colour will do. If it hasn't been done since 2010 then it could do with a change. The anti freeze is toxic.