A nice easy job

Grouch
This post is 3286 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My rear brake pads needed changing badly. I was in danger of wearing them down to the metal like i did on the XT and damaging the disk and caliper. Easy I thought, until I realised you cant get to them or take the caliper off until you take the rear wheel off completely. What a stupid design. So now I can't even change the rear brake pads without putting aside 3 hours.

The bike needs servicing anyway so they can do it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aww c'mon Grouch, we need a masterclass in brake pad replacement and how it will eventually turn into a complete engine rebuild.....

Sorry mate, just joshin

• Like 1

How many miles have you racked up on this bike of yours now? Still enjoying it?

Are you sure you need the wheel out to change the pads?

Normally a couple of pins at most a locking bolt..

mm, doesn't sound right to me either.

I hate having to undo the fairings and exhaust system on the fz just to change the oil filter.

the XS is a doddle

You know in 25years of riding motorcycles including 3years of full time year round riding. (Not to be repeated by choice). I have never worn out a set of rear pads on any bike. Even the suzuki i put nigh on 40k miles never needed pads.

That's why I enquired about mileage Cynic. Over 12,000 on mine and still ample life left...

HAHA Jimmy you did make me chuckle. Bippo I've just done under 5k miles on her and I'm still loving especially with the nice weather lately. Drewpy/Cynic I spent a few days trying to locate the bolts on the caliper and couldn't find them. I thought it was me just been thick. I took her to a Yammy dealers and asked the guy to show me and he said that the wheel needs to come off. I know it sounds daft but thats what he said. I know I'm not mechaniccaly minded but I am able to do basic jobs. It would be pretty sad if I couldn't locate a few bolts.

• Like 1

Ha Grouch"o , good to hear from you, if your not confident ,brakes are an important job,, get it done with the service,

And are they screeving the metal yet ? or you just seeing couple of mm of pad thickness,, :eusa_think:

HAHA Jimmy you did make me chuckle. Bippo I've just done under 5k miles on her and I'm still loving especially with the nice weather lately. Drewpy/Cynic I spent a few days trying to locate the bolts on the caliper and couldn't find them. I thought it was me just been thick. I took her to a Yammy dealers and asked the guy to show me and he said that the wheel needs to come off. I know it sounds daft but thats what he said. I know I'm not mechaniccaly minded but I am able to do basic jobs. It would be pretty sad if I couldn't locate a few bolts.

Maybe but you are using your brakes wrong if you spanked the rear pads in 5k.

Sticking up for Grouchie. If there's two things I wouldn't mess about with is tyres and brakes. I always go to my local bike dealer for that.

Its why i WONT.

Way to intimate for me. An oily rad wanting to get the job done in x minutes to keep his boss happy.

No chance.

Blackhat I think they are just getting to that point now so I might just get away with not having to replace the disc Cynic I don't what I am doing wrong. I always use both brakes together and apply the front a fraction of a second before the rear. One thing for sure is the brakes on the WR are extremely powerful. A little too much pressure and your skidding. Mike/Cynic I can understand your arguments. You don't wan't some guy rushing to fix your brakes because he has two minutes until he knocks but on the other hand you would feel more confident knowing the job has been done by a professional.

Blackhat I think they are just getting to that point now so I might just get away with not having to replace the disc Cynic I don't what I am doing wrong. I always use both brakes together and apply the front a fraction of a second before the rear. One thing for sure is the brakes on the WR are extremely powerful. A little too much pressure and your skidding. Mike/Cynic I can understand your arguments. You don't wan't some guy rushing to fix your brakes because he has two minutes until he knocks but on the other hand you would feel more confident knowing the job has been done by a professional.

looking on other forums, the WR can go through pads every 1000 miles :shakeno:

When I was a courier I could get through a set of pads in a week . With most bikes if your pistons and seals are ok changing pads is a 10 or 15 minute job . I'd much rather do it myself than have the work experience lad down at the dealer do it . Beats watching tv .

Sticking up for Grouchie. If there's two things I wouldn't mess about with is tyres and brakes. I always go to my local bike dealer for that.

I've had new tyres fitted backwards , had a tyre lever left in a tyre , had new Avon Gripsters inflated to 15psi on a brand new XR400R on which 1 mile up the road I hit a pothole and destroyed both wheelrims , all by dealers !! They are making a living on people's ignorance , although there are good workshops out there . Motorbikes are simple enough , learn to do it and check everything .

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online