XV535 Carb question

jimmy
This post is 3286 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright folks

I went out to get the boys bike ready for its MOT. He hasn't used it for about 15 months (various reasons) anyway a few wee jobs...stripped, cleaned and copaslipped the back brake. Fitted new rear shockers and then went to start it. It only fired in one cylinder (front) but was showing a spark in the rear. I poured a wee drop of petrol in the rear cylinder and away it went, but only until that fuel ran out. Tried again but would not even run on the front cylinder now.

I removed the fuel pipe and switched the ign on. Fuel came out so the pump is working. My assumption is that the carbs are gummed up (strangely fuel is getting up to the rear carb but when I remove the joining hose no fuel makes it through to the front pipe).

Anyway my question to those that know these bikes is: - Is there any way to clean the carbs without taking them off the bike or am I just being a lazy sod. I have not drained the float chamber, so I'll try that first but any other help or advice is welcome*

* Advice like 'burn it and buy a draggie' or 'piece of shit' 'lady bike' and any other such comments, although hilariously funny will not be treated as helpful, but feel free to spread the wit and repartie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Stop being a lazy git and take them off. It makes the actual cleaning of them far easier!!

• Like 1

Float bowls off, blast arsehole aerosol carb cleaner up the way, then do the same from the top down and then from the air intakes. For added hilarity, try putting neat Redex into the fuel line and fire it up on that - just make sure you've issued a fog warning first!

If all that don't work then, as Ttaskmaster says, stop being a lazy sod and do it properly!

• Like 2

Well, to the interested few.

I went out to have a look at it today. Ordered a set of jet cleaners and expected to have to do a strip. I had also purchased a tin of carb cleaner and sprayed some into the intakes whilst turning the bike over. One last look over things before pulling the carbs off and I noticed the petrol pipe was kinked down at the fuel pump. I pulled it out its run and re-routed it straight up the outside of the bike, ensuring no kinks and turned it over.......Yipee, off it went and ran sweet as a nut.

Thinking back, there had been a small leak from the hose at the carb end so I had cut about 1" off the perished end. Obviously this had caused the hose to kink at the bottom when I stretched it back over the carb. When I was removing the hose to check if fuel was getting pumped through, it was obviously relieving the kink, but slipping it back on blocked it again. So a happy bunny here with an easy fix. Now to get it booked in for its MOT.

• Like 1

Nice one jimmy. 15 months off the road,can he still remember how to ride? :spin2:

Well, He took it in for it's MOT and it passed with no advisorys, so I must be doing something correct. Today I went and prepped my bike. Refitted the tank (I'll get it painted at another time)added fuel and away it went. Surprise surprise, Slice, it has an oil leak. The rocker / cam cover gasket must have hardened so I'll order one of those up in the morning.....anyway happy daze in the mckenna household

• Like 1

It's a Triumph Jimmy they leak from the factory !!! :biglaugha:

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online