Centre stand mods.

slice
This post is 3320 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a quick question folks, on the FJ I have the standard centre stand it's ok but you really have to haul the bike up and over the tipping point to get it on the stand, now I have a back injury which means that it hurts when I try to lift the thing, I can do it but it's uncomfortable, so my query is, can I chop a lump out of the uprights to bring the tipping point lower down, so that I can more or less roll the bike onto the stand rather than lift it on. There are 2 ways I'm thinking of doing it, one is to chop out the centre of the stand by about an inch then re-weld the 2 halves together, two is to chop the foot part off and then weld 2 new plates onto the stand feet, there is not a lot of free metal at the bottom as it's all part of the mechanism where you stand on the lever to get it to operate so not the best way I think. Side stand is ok but not ideal as an every day all day thing. Can I instead of any of this extend the lever that you use to get the bike on the stand outward and make it longer so giving me a better lever action thus using my weight rather than my back to get it on to the stand? Any advice would be great fellas as it's about the only thing on the bike that I struggle with.

mVqn9fs-j1WPv83rTzj3K7g.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's a good idea, but it's when I'm out that it's really a problem, the garage I can just about manage but road side it's bloody difficult. Thanks tho will try the bit of wood idea.

That's a good idea, but it's when I'm out that it's really a problem, the garage I can just about manage but road side it's bloody difficult. Thanks tho will try the bit of wood idea.

Has you bike got any on-board storage for the piece of wood...say under the seat?? it really doesn't have to be a very big piece at all, something that will go in your pocket is well big enough

Yeah I had thought of that but was really trying to think of a way to cut the stand down that means I would not have to explain a piece of 4X2 in my pocket if I get stopped :biglaugha::crazy:

Chop the last few inches off the legs and put a bigger, curved foot on each. Weld a longer foot bar for better leverage. You only need the rear wheel to lift slightly off the floor to use the stand.

All assuming that this would all fit when refitted to the bike.

Alternatively cut the side stand so it swivels slightly more to the front of the bike, when down, and weld a bigger foot to it.

Now that's an Idea! Thank you, I will have another look, never thought of fiddling with the side stand as it makes the bike lean way to far over as it is. Nice one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online